Pioneer Human Services
www.pioneerhumanservices.org Seattle, WA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Struggling with an identity crisis

Director (Current Employee)
Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pioneer Human Services full-time for more than a year

ProsI would say that there is a current movement that is healthy for the company to move through. They have reached a decision point where company's move from good to great. That also means that they have to formalize their processes and move away from people based knowledge and create institutional knowledge that lasts beyond the individual. This is a good thing. They are at that point and making choices that will have a long term benefit to mover beyond the $100mm mark. The mission is admirable and challenging. However, when you witness the results of a job well done within the company for the sake of one of the clients, it makes the effort meaningful and special.

ConsMirroring the statement above, Pioneer is a company in transition. They are laying the foundation for leaping to the next level of corporate greatness. The challenge is in transitioning a 50 year old company with long term tenured employees into an efficient machine. The end result of the transition will be beautiful, but the path getting there is ugly. New managers will struggle with balancing four competing entities: old employees with institutional knowledge, new management with sound management theory and performance based expectations, serving a difficult client as a non-profit, and a profit motive. It is a company with many moving parts that aren't quite yet in sync.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecentralize some decision making to improve the efficiency of the operating units. Directors, at the higher levels, are not given the authority to operate with the autonomy they need to succeed.

Non-Profit That Has Forgotten Their Mission For Profit.

Facility Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Pioneer Human Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The pro of this company was numerous, but is quickly being eliminated under the classic battle cry of "reorganization" (i.e. massive firings). Negativity reserved for… Cons: Pioneer Human Services, under its somewhat recent change in leadership, has lost focus of it's mission on clients and is retooling the non-profit towards the… Advice to Senior Management: Advice to upper management is to leave the Ivory Tower for a week, and work in the trenches with the current employees. Not only would… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Amazing non-profit with a for-profit industries business unit.

I have been working at Pioneer Human Services

Pros: The services we provide to the community are unmatched in the state of Washington. We work hard to offer comprehensive transitional… Cons: We have a long way to go rebuilding the organizational culture to one that has a… More

There are newer reviews on Pioneer Human Services.

Worked for Pioneer Human Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pioneer Human Services reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pioneer Human Services CEO Karen Lee. All reviews posted anonymously by Pioneer Human Services employees.