Pioneer Human Services

www.pioneerhumanservices.org
  www.pioneerhumanservices.org
There are newer employer reviews for Pioneer Human Services

I am so glad I got out of there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Pioneer Human Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Huge plus offers benefits to partners (straight or gay partners). Nice wellness program. They offer employee awards with a small financial gift (but I never did get that small gift).

Cons

Salary is very low for a masters degree requirement. Turnover is huge. The job was a contractor of a federal agency and the agency did not back the employees even when the employee was following the rules. There is no advancement, there is little training, you were expected to start a job with little training and support which is fine unless you hold an employee to an expectation that you never told them about. The company is a non profit but profit is still king. I earned an award and never did get my $25 gift card.

Pay your employees better. Invest in your employees. Find out why your turnover is so high especially in certain positions.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Pioneer Human Services (View Most Recent)

I have been working at Pioneer Human Services

Pros

none at all not a good company

Cons

Pioneer Human Services has made me homeless twice now. I am a 100% Disabled American Veteran with no drug, legal, alcohol issues. Only health issues. Some of their employees have been fired for being anti-veteran and anti-male.

Heavily embraces its mission, sometimes loses sight of employees and their needs in that process.

Current Employee - Psych Nurse Aide, Assisted Living for Ex-offenders, Mentally Ill, Etc in Spokane, WA

I have been working at Pioneer Human Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pioneer has no equal when it comes to human services outside the state and governmental level. We intertwine many facets of living and its challenges - mental health, substance abuse, being an offender, transitional housing, employment, job readiness training, and even working with youth. To its employees, Pioneer offers very competitive benefits packages including medical/dental, 403(b), tuition assistance and an employee assistance program as well as paid time off, even paid sick days. In the Pioneer facility in which I work, I enjoy a robust work environment and fellow employees in it for the good of serving others, not just to keep a paycheck coming in (though that's part of it!) Working to make money for someone else is baffling to me, making Pioneer a great fit for the non-profit or human services oriented person.

Cons

Pioneer has undergone massive changes in structure, leadership, and even the community it serves in a very small amount of time. They run the risk of micromanaging by not tapping into the human capitol already at their disposal. Some senior leaders don't have the authority or autonomy their position should come with, which causes friction with other leadership and decision-making. Politically, Pioneer is too conservative. When cannabis was legalized in Washington state, Pioneer had the opportunity to relieve themselves of worrying about it, instead, the CEO sent everyone a memo which basically said "it may be legal, but it's not for you!" Hourly pay is very poor considering many of the skills employees have in working with disadvantaged groups. In the marketplace, good talent goes elsewhere because though our benefits are excellent, hourly pay is low enough to be able to still qualify for food stamps and medicaid. Non-profits in general are notorious for under-paying employees. In the marketplace, my skills and occupation pay about 16-20 an hour, but Pioneer has me at 10.25.

Raise awareness in communities, especially those in which Pioneer is a new presence. Make yourselves known at job centers, career fairs, and schools. Consider becoming even more competitive in the realm of talent acquisition - don't pay employees with valuable human services skills as though they are laborers like burger-flippers or housekeepers. Stop caring so much about cannabis - the rest of the state has.

There are newer employer reviews for Pioneer Human Services