There are newer employer reviews for Pitney Bowes

A lot of opportunity for growth and change as a company

I have been working at Pitney Bowes

Pros

There is a wide open road in front of the company and they are doing a great job of tactically planning for changes and development across business units. This will better position the company for future growth. Pay is competitive and benefits are nice.

Cons

Large corporate structure leads to lack of communication and silos operating without buy-in from others. Global regions also have difficulty working in tandem.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to push forward in order to own business markets. Some of our offerings are solid; but we sometimes lack the organization to pull together all of the components necessary for a quality customer experience. Decide who and what we want to be and then make it happen.

reviews filtered by
  1. Looking Up

I have been working at Pitney Bowes

Pros

Despite many challenges- integration of two strong willed companies, the sinking economy and stagnant software offerings, the leadership at PB Mapinfo is directing the company with heart, morality and honesty.

Cons

Cons: Struggles to consolidate customers and technologies to grow, the cancerous attitudes of some legacy mid-management who would try to steal from orphans if they thought they could get away with it.

Advice to Management

Hang in there. The deck is stacked in many ways, but the majority of the employees are remaining steadfast and loyal during this tough patch. Special kudos to Mike H. and Ben S. for being honest and managing with the livlihood of the employees in mind.

Get in. Get out quickly.

Former Employee - Former SASE in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Former SASE in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Pitney Bowes

Pros

For me, the work-home life balance was good. I had the flexibility to do whatever I wanted to really so long as my numbers were okay. And even when they weren't it was out. The benefits are awesome. A solid health plan and 401k. The majority of people are friendly, though most management is arrogant and totally annoying. Overall, it is a good starting point in a sales career.

Cons

Wow, where to start. Lets see. The pay is awful. I'm not even sure awful is even the right word to describe how bad it is. When I started as an SE (Sales Exec) my salary was $23K. It was quickly raised (which I had to earn) a few months later to $27 once they realized that $23K was laughable (not that I was any prouder of $27K). Finally in 2009, a new Sales VP came in and told PB how awful the salaries were so they raised them a big (mine went from $28200 to $37000). But, in turn, the lowered the commission so that the goal was no one actually made anymore money (but many people ended up making less). Okay what else. They tout the "new" OZ program and cell phone they provide is being there to help you, but its really just a management tracking tool and it's tedious and awful as well. With the exception of my manager, the management team is awful. They're all about a broken record. The thinking is, "get out there and make your sales calls and the numbers will be there." If it were only that easy. They all haven't been in sales in years and don't realize that its not 1985 anymore. What else? The mileage allowance is a complete job. They are cheap. No office supplies. Buy them yourself. But as I said under Pros, it is a good place to start. But get out quickly. The one thing they do a good job with is scaring people into staying, as if there are no better jobs out there. Believe me they are. PB was my first job out of college. I stayed 5 years, and got a job a very good job in an actual senior sales position with a significantly higher base salary and comp package. And I can expense my office supplies. What a novel idea.

Advice to Management

Stop hording cash and pay your sales reps what they deserve. If you've got well compensated employees and they aren't having to worry about paying their mortgage, you'll get more out of them.

There are newer employer reviews for Pitney Bowes