Pittsburgh Public Schools

There are newer employer reviews for Pittsburgh Public Schools

rewarding teaching experience

Current Employee - SPED Teacher in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - SPED Teacher in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Pittsburgh Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

supportive union
great students
supportive administrators
Excellent special education programs

Cons

funding cuts from state level
budget cuts

8 Other Employee Reviews for Pittsburgh Public Schools (View Most Recent)

A lot of hard, unappreciated work.

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Pittsburgh Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pittsburgh Public Schools provides a challenging experience and allows you to work with inner-city students. In my experience, I have had the opportunity to take on leadership roles, and define my own career. I LOVE the coworkers that worked in my building. I was able to learn a lot from their high-energy and hard-working attitudes.

Cons

Throughout my experience, I have felt unappreciated by the administration at the district level. They do not bother to call school cancellations until after all staff members are expected to be at work. They do not make students make up those days of school, but staff members have to make up those hours after school or on Saturdays. (As if, we haven't made up those two days over and over again with the extra hours that we put in.) The district consistently adds more work to our plate that takes us away from doing our jobs as teachers. The people who are often hired for district-level positions are completely out of touch with what really is happening in the classroom.

It would be helpful to the staff of Pittsburgh Public School District to not only a receive heartless mass email thank you, but to see action from the district-level administration that shows their gratitude of what teachers do day-in and day-out.

Lack of leadership and effective decision-making and a toxic work environment

I worked at Pittsburgh Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Most of the teachers and staff are dedicated professionals and care a lot about the students
    - The district pays well compared to other local school districts
    - Are many opportunities to make extra money through coaching and special programs

Cons

- District leadership seems to have no idea what goes on in the schools and makes decisions accordingly
    - There is an overall culture in which many employees are focused on competition and making themselves "look good" instead of focusing on helping students; this type of behavior seems to be rewarded while actual good work is ignored

- Start paying attention to those who make a difference
    - Stop promoting incompetence