There are newer employer reviews for Pivotal

A technical staff

I have been working at Pivotal

Pros

Pivotal products (Cloud Foundry, Spring, Groovy, Grails, RabitMQ) as well as services (Pivotal Labs and technical consulting) are prominent for upcoming future

Cons

Operations (especially in Asia) is a bit poor (the target is just for sales, not for technology)

38 Other Employee Reviews for Pivotal (View Most Recent)

Early days, lots of opportunities and uncertainty

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Pivotal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Resources of a large organization. Strong engineering teams. Several well established products. Sales channels inherited from EMC and VMware. It's early days so there's good potential for growth and career advancement.

Cons

The company is still largely being formed, common direction is still to be found. The company is large enough to have bureaucracy.

Communicate the overall vision better. Give people more chances to learn about what other teams are doing and how they work.

Changing the way the world builds software and leverages data

Current Employee - Field Engineering  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Engineering in New York, NY

I have been working at Pivotal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big vision, compelling technology, really smart people, backing of three powerhouse companies (GE, VMware, EMC), fast moving market, huge open source contribution, major disruptive potential by leveraging Pivotal Labs Agile development methodology with Cloud Foundry Enterprise PaaS and advanced data services offered via the big data suite.

I'm part of the field organization and get the opportunity to help customers change the way they build software and leverage data. Not every company is ready for what we are doing, but that aligns to the standard technology adoption lifecycle curve. When we identify customers who are looking to evolve their business by better leveraging their data or improving how they build software, amazing things happen.

Every day i'm amazed by the way our customers leverage Pivotal Labs to build software. The momentum around CloudFoundry is really unbelievable and our big data suite is completely disrupting traditional enterprise data fabrics.

Are their competitors, yes. Is it easy, no, but is there unbelievable potential to disrupt traditional IT, absolutely.

Having been here since the beginning, we have come a long way, but our journey has only just begun and I'm extremely optimistic about the future.

Cons

Pivotal being a new company has some challenges. We were formed from multiple entities in order to accomplish our vision. Whenever you integrate a few cultures into a single entity it takes some time for them to come together. Having been part of one of those companies for four years now and at Pivotal since formation, I believe we are through the storming and forming stages and are aligning on continuous innovation to execute on our vision.

What we are trying to do isn't simple and isn't for everyone. We have a big vision, that at times can turn people off because there are moving parts and for folks coming from a single product company, it can seem daunting. I personally love our portfolio approach, but i've witnessed folks who struggled with this approach and ultimately left the company (some of which wrote negative reviews on this site).

Continue to focus on innovation
    Continue to invest in helping customers succeed and solve real business problems
    Continue to hire top talent that thrive driving industry transformation
    Listen to our critics, but keep the eye on the prize. Executing on our vision will require laser focus and execution.

There are newer employer reviews for Pivotal

Worked for Pivotal? Contribute to the Community!