A technical staff

Pros

Pivotal products (Cloud Foundry, Spring, Groovy, Grails, RabitMQ) as well as services (Pivotal Labs and technical consulting) are prominent for upcoming future

Cons

Operations (especially in Asia) is a bit poor (the target is just for sales, not for technology)

Other Employee Reviews for Pivotal

Early days, lots of opportunities and uncertainty

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Resources of a large organization. Strong engineering teams. Several well established products. Sales channels inherited from EMC and VMware. It's early days so there's good potential for growth and career advancement.

Cons

The company is still largely being formed, common direction is still to be found. The company is large enough to have bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Communicate the overall vision better. Give people more chances to learn about what other teams are doing and how they work.

Love it!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working among very happy people: everyone is able to connect their day-to-day work to the overall mission of the company. Strong culture and values: we hire for empathy; we champion kindness towards co-workers and clients; we all strive to do the right thing; Test-driven Development and Pair Programming are so fun that I can hardly work in a different setting now. Work-life balance / sustainable pace: Everyone starts working at the same time at 9, and everyone pauses work and leave at 6. There's no overtime. Hard and focused work: Minimal amount of meetings, we spend maybe 2 hours out of 40 in meetings, and can focus on writing code for 38 hours.

Cons

can't think of much actually