Creative Environment

Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA
Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Pivotal as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The largest factor I've come across in working here at Pivotal has been creativity. I've had the ability to build and launch new programs and projects that would take ages to implement at other companies. Once the management staff provides the high level goals, employees come together to own and launch the solutions. Opinions and ideas are very well received, while micro-management is at a minimum.

Cons

As people and programs have come over from EMC and VMware there has sometimes been a slow transition in thinking and process improvement. Pivotal is moving at startup speed and some of the staff need a little more time to ramp up and get on board with some process/system changes.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees. We work on the ground level and know a thing or two.

Other Employee Reviews for Pivotal

Everyone Rowing in Different Directions

Current Employee - R&D
    Current Employee - R&D

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EMC as a parent is a solid company, so benefits, salaries, HR policies etc are good. Has one of the best Data Science teams in the business (but not sure how it will be monetized).

Cons

Beware of Pivotal recruiters recently giving this company high ratings! CEO has great vision, but the executives below him aren't following it. CFO has great ideas how to make the stock worth something, but the product teams and services groups aren't doing/building the right things to make it happen. Product teams are concerned about their open source brands (Cloud Foundry, Spring) more than the long term viability of the company. Politics unbearable because of internal competition - each technology group has different ideas about product direction or which open source product to build on top of. Company is likely to run out of money and shed employees soon because of the cost of a huge sales force that has nothing competitive to sell.

Advice to Management

Make sure that everyone is aligned to a vision that will sustain the company.

So far the experience has been very positive-I really enjoy it here at Pivotal

Current Employee - Staffing Team Member in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Staffing Team Member in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Pivotal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great team environment and everyone knows what is at stake here. I've had the opportunity to work on some very challenging and interesting projects. Looking back on my career this has to be the most exciting company I have been a part of. It has that fun and challenging start-up feel where you can make an immediate impact on the future of this co. If you have a strong work ethic and can embrace change this is a great place to work.

Cons

As in any start-up there are many changes and re-directions. If you can't adjust to a new and changing landscape this may not be the company for you.

Advice to Management

Continue to deliver a clear message about our value proposition and position the company for an IPO within the next 2 years.