Planned Parenthood

www.plannedparenthood.org
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Planned Parenthood

The perfect internship: I got to apply my education to a real world experience.

Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Public Affairs Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Friendly, accepting, genuine, and competent co-workers who all are passionate about reproductive rights and social justice generally.

Runs very smoothly---doesn't fit the stereotype of the typical underfunded and inefficient non-profit (but then again the LA office has may more resources than other offices).

Very flexible with work hours.

Cons

My internship was unpaid and they gave me a lot of responsibility. However, many internships are unpaid and I knew that before I took the job.

I'm pretty sure the paid positions don't pay as well, but that's how it is for most nonprofits.

194 Other Employee Reviews for Planned Parenthood (View Most Recent)

Very political, inside and out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

Good fringe benefits (flexible schedules, health insurance, time off). Allows you to serve a population in need. Many people feel very good about working there and serving the patients.

Cons

Political challenges are always abound, from the outside (protesters, government funding cuts, anti-abortion bills, etc) and inside (you need to work with a lot of people to get things done...lots of decision by committee There is little "coloring outside the lines"). Every year there are budget issues due to government funding so you're always wondering if this year is the year of more staffing cuts, budget cuts, etc.

Line level staff do not have much confidence in executive leadership's ability to succeed. Working on conveying competence and showing knowledge would help people think they know something. At this point it just seems like they delegate everything to the managers.

Great misssion, hard work, no payoff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Planned Parenthood

Pros

The missions is important and most people are really driven by that and that is something that kept us motivated and excited about our work. There are some warm wonderful people that work at the agency. The headquarters building is beautiful and bright with spacious cubes.

Cons

There are no opportunities to grow withing the administrative (nonclinical) positions. The pay is low, the benefits shabby, and the raises are laughable. The structure is very hierarchical, with senior staff showing very little regard for the those below them.

People should be paid competitively and there should be attempts to promote from within so that people feel that they are working toward something tangible.

There are newer employer reviews for Planned Parenthood