Planned Parenthood

There are newer employer reviews for Planned Parenthood

Fulfilling and Supportive Employer

Current Employee - Peer Educator - STARS in New Haven, CT
Current Employee - Peer Educator - STARS in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Planned Parenthood part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Planned Parenthood is doing some of the most important work in the country. Politically, it's an outstandingly positive force. The community of employees is incredibly close, warm, and supportive. Also, you often get free condoms/materials depending on your department.

Cons

I can't think of much except that occasionally, you'll get a negative response when you tell someone you work at PP.

191 Other Employee Reviews for Planned Parenthood (View Most Recent)

Invaluable Experience, Long Hours for Unpaid Internship

Current Employee - Development Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Development Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Planned Parenthood as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Learning how to use the donor database is a great and marketable skill to have. I have gained some fantastic experience and knowledge as an intern in the Development department. My coworkers are supportive, friendly, and helpful. I have gained both development-related (fundraising, stewardship, event-planning, etc.) skills as well as administrative skills. I have learned how to use great office skills like the mail-merge feature on Microsoft Word, as well as Excel, Outlook, and Publisher. I definitely would not be interviewing for full-time development/non-profit jobs without this internship. It also really aligns with my personal and academic interests, as well as interests I plan to pursue in the future.

Cons

The hours are very long for an unpaid internship. The posting initially said 10-20 hours, no specifics. When I received my "official offer" letter (after I had accepted the position by email), it said 15 hours per week. This is two full days, which is difficult given that I am still a full-time college student and have another part-time job in order to make some money. It is also expensive to take the train both ways with no stipend at all. They also don't have the capacity to hire me, which is something I wish I had considered before accepting the job. I would perhaps have benefited more from a company that had the funds/capacity to offer me anything at all.

Restructuring in order to depend less on unpaid interns would be beneficial for all involved.

Positive

Former Employee - Volunteer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Volunteer in New York, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood as an intern

Pros

DIrect patient interaction is a huge plus, also the chance to be involved with such a politically relevant organization was very important to me.

Cons

Volunteers are not permitted to observe some of Planned Parenthood's procedures, which means those who want to learn more (ie. medical track) are a bit inhibited.

More volunteer interaction events.

There are newer employer reviews for Planned Parenthood