There are newer employer reviews for Planned Parenthood

Worst professional experience of my career

Former Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great mission - Opportunities to work on both non-profit and advocacy

Cons

- Disorganization beyond belief - Catty girls club - Socialization between employees and their superiors is not professional - Shady hiring practices - No talking between departments - Employees have been in their positions forever with no actual output - Wasteful with funds - Pathetic IT support - Poor treatment and respect of affiliates - Too many contractors!! Stop hiring like crazy when you outsource some of the most important work at an expensive fee!!

Advice to Management

- Treat the people who have actual output of work product well - Hire efficient people who have a proven output of work and aren't there solely because they care about the mission - Just because someone has been in their position forever doesn't mean that they are actually good at it - Get organized and departments working with one another - Run more like a business in DC and New York offices and less like a non-profit

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Friendly culture but did not add much to my learning experience

Former Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Planned Parenthood as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff and management, flexible schedules, standardized, decent training for employees, very liberal but respectful, supervisors don't micro-manage. My supervisors would check in with me from time to time but I was left with a lot of autonomy in my projects.

Cons

A bit disorganized, but it's a non-profit so this should be a given. Also some supervisors aren't as hands on as I'd like, and was given little direction and the needs weren't explained well. My supervisors barely had any time for any meetings with me, which was needed for my project.

Advice to Management

Give more time to your interns but keep the autonomy

2. Good people, dry work

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Planned Parenthood full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great: hardworking, polite, professional.

Cons

The work was primarily administrative, and they were still using mostly paper files. I believe they adjusted the title and job description after I left to reflect this though, and they were moving toward digitization as well. Also, there was no way to grow in that position, so it's meant for people who are passing through.

Advice to Management

Turnover could be decreased in part by creating clear goals at the start of the employees tenure and showing how an employee could grow within the company.