Plante Moran

www.plantemoran.com
  www.plantemoran.com
There are newer employer reviews for Plante Moran

Great place to start a career

Former Employee - Audit Staff in Southfield, MI
Former Employee - Audit Staff in Southfield, MI

I worked at Plante Moran

Pros

In the audit department, you gain exposure to the entire audit process, from planning to the issuance of the financial statements. I feel I gained a more balanced skill set than I would have at a Big 4 firm.

Cons

You must be willing to work long hours, but that is true for any large firm. High performers get overloaded, while weaker staff generally aren't as busy.

Focus on the things that differentiate Plante from the Big 4, rather than trending toward a Big 4 environment.

73 Other Employee Reviews for Plante Moran (View Most Recent)

Great people, great benefits, great place to work

Former Employee - Healthcare Reimbursement Consultant in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Healthcare Reimbursement Consultant in Southfield, MI

Pros

Pros:

- They treat employees like they are made of gold. Work/life balance & benefits were second to none.

- Flextime was great. Anytime I wanted to work from home, I could.

Cons

Cons:

- Not a big 4 firm, so the knowledge base and lateral knowledge transfer is sometimes lacking.

- Doesn't pay as well as big 4, but you do have a much better work/life balance.

- Some of the people they were promoting to partner right before I left did not embody the P&M values. I hope they evaluate partners on more than how much cash they bring in, and consider employee relation & development skills.

Keep focusing on keeping employees happy and re-evaluate partner selection criteria. Some new partners acted more like used car salesmen than professional accountants and they were losing clients and prestige because of that

Great place to work.....if you live in Michigan

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Plante Moran

Pros

- It is a mid-size firm that has most of the resources that would be available to a Big 4 firm.
    - Open door policy for most managers/partners
    - The PTO policy is very generous

Cons

- No name recognition outside of Michigan, Ohio offices (Cleveland especially) not very well known in business community.
    - Most training materials address Michigan taxes quite heavily, but don't address Ohio, Illinois, and other states where the firm has offices.
    - After a few years you start to feel like a used car salesmen, you need to "sell" projects to clients. It becomes very cuthroat with your peers after a while in order to meet annual sales goals, which can have rediculous thresholds.
    - Benefits are awful, especially if you have children and need insurance.

- Need to practice the culture, not just talk about it. Also, don't talk about it so much, you feel like you get brainwashed into believing it.
    - Stop wasting $ on the annual conference, use that money to invest in benefits instead, or make the 401k match better.

There are newer employer reviews for Plante Moran