Playfirst

www.playfirst.com
  www.playfirst.com
There are newer employer reviews for Playfirst

Great people, great games, great views!

I have been working at Playfirst

Pros

- I enjoy working with the people in the office
- the work environment is open and friendly
- while there are exceptions from time to time, compared to other places, there is a lot of respect shown amongst employees and between employees and management
- great communication - regular company meetings, emails, etc. so you know what's going on
- fun company activities
- Making Games
- Great views over the bay

Cons

- games industry is changing really fast and the company has had to do a lot of shifting over the past couple of years - this can be hard, but also invigorating to know we're not just sticking our heads in the sand
- did I mention lots of change?

Communicate even more - with all the change, it's helpful to understand "why".

More creativity - sometimes we get too heads down working on projects, and we need to remember we're making GAMES! Fun! Creativity!

22 Other Employee Reviews for Playfirst (View Most Recent)

Top industry employees, challenging work, close-knit bunch of great people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Playfirst full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

*Everyone is extremely good at their jobs and willing to go above and beyond at all times.
    *Managers are honest and helpful, not cutthroat or robotic.
    *The teamwork is supportive and fun, everyone is in it together rather than competitive.
    *PF takes care of employees in any way they can, definitely prioritized over anything else.
    *Company learns as they go, experts in some things, growing in other areas. Lots of room for personal impact on company's success.
    *Your career will be on a fast track here, high chance of many promotions.

Cons

*Hard work, will lose sleep during crunch time, typical for industry.
    *Roles and duties change, sometimes no choice.
    *Things are always unknown when acquired by another company, especially Glu Mobile.
    *Occasionally there are unreasonable expectations for workload, though it is often worked out as everyone learns what works.

*Check in with employees more often about personal stress levels to make sure people aren't being overworked, and perhaps things can be distributed more equally on and off.
    *Could use more employees at all times.
    *Unfair that Art Team can work from home more often than other employees, though everyone understands that is up to managers of teams. Would be nice if departments felt like they had more equal treatment across the company.
    *Be more sympathetic during delivery of difficult news, and don't let Glu mobile ever deliver it.

Great workers, terrible management

I worked at Playfirst

Pros

The workers are the greatest asset at Playfirst, aside from their Diner Dash series. People are smart, kind, and friendly.

Cons

The people steering the ship don't know what they're doing. They don't have a background in video games (or in tech for that matter) and have repeatedly made bad business decisions that cost people their jobs.

Stop hiding your decisions, strategy, and inadequacies from the people that you depend on--your employees. Stop treating them like children--always assuming that you know what's best and that they need to be protected from the harsh reality of business. If you are more open and transparent they will surprise you with their trust, dedication, and insight.

There are newer employer reviews for Playfirst