There are newer employer reviews for Playfirst

Change happens on a whim, depending on how management feels that day.

I worked at Playfirst full-time

Pros

The people that handle the day to day projects are really smart and friendly. There are some extremely talented engineers, artists, designers, product managers, and producers; they just need to be allowed to do their job.

Cons

Upper management makes incredibly rash decisions on a whim. It leads to people being fearful for their jobs if they say something that may be out of line that day, depending on what mood management is in.

Advice to Management

Upper management should trust their employees instead of getting offended when they ask for clarification on decisions. Staff know when you are trying to cover up for low morale.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not The Place For Exciting Innovations In Mobile Game Design

I worked at Playfirst (More than a year)

Pros

- There are still some good/talented people there - You'll learn how not to manage a team - You'll learn how not to waste your team's time with meetings - Basically, you'll learn what not to do

Cons

- Executive staff is not interested in making games that are actually fun, interesting, and intuitively designed - Monetization strategies are cute/baffling at best - "Management" is reactionary and not qualified/fit to critique the mobile games space - HR is unprofessional and passive aggressive - Company politics is toxic.

Advice to Management

I'm sure you all knew what fun, passion, honesty, and creativity meant before you jumped into the games scene right?

2. Well balanced, collaborative and transparent company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Playfirst full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Approachable and available leadership. * Culture of transparency in decision making. * Tries as much as possible to make decisions collaboratively * Great food and culture perks - balanced events and perks - I don't feel overwhelmed by activities that could interfere with my job duties, but enough to remind me why I like tech jobs.

Cons

* There've been growing pains. The management team really tries to promote up, but sometimes the people that are promoted aren't quite ready for the higher title, and their growing pains become the teams growing pains.

Advice to Management

Promoting from within is awesome, but maybe use more Jr. titles, and ease into the extra responsibilities.