Used To Be a Great Place To Work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Neenah, WI

I worked at Plexus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Most of the co-workers were friendly and helpful
-It was close to my home.
-I had the opportunity, under the right circumstances, to learn a lot about electronics and the assembly process.
-The first five years I worked there was great. It was like one big happy family. Upper management actually cared. Then it went downhill.

Cons

-When I started working there, they promoted more from within. When I left, they'd hire someone off the street with no experience in electronics over a person with 20 years of work experience because the in-house person didn't go to college.
-They pay lip service to work/life balance.
-Management doesn't care about quality of the product they put out until the customer is unhappy.
-People in management with no experience in electronic assembly make promises to customers that can't be met and they are too arrogant to ask the production floor for their input.
-Don't value the experience or input of their long-time employees, many who have worked building boards when some of the current management was still in kindergarten.
-Having to take unpaid days and then work mandatory overtime in the same quarter despite the fact that our department was still behind. We had to do this because another building was slow.
-Not using the down time to get caught up and/or to work on the quality issues.
-Management is very reactive and not proactive.
-They hire temps for when it's busy, but they do not give them the proper training. Then when it slows down, they let them go. The cycle starts all over again when it gets busy. Then when they have a shortage of people who can solder, they bring in people from Buffalo Grove & pay for their hotel and all that instead of taking the time to train people here properly and train them to solder.
-The last department I worked in was micromanaged to death, which just made things worse. You were treated like a five year old instead of an adult.

Advice to Management

Value the people who work on the production floor and take the time to listen to them, especially the people who have been around longer than 10 years. They are the ones who work on the product and know the processes. They are the ones who work in the trenches. Your business and your customer satisfaction depends on them. When people feel like management doesn't care, then they stop caring and then the quality and productivity go downhill. Ask for their input on production issues. Stop being reactive and start being more proactive; if someone slits your jugular vein, you won't stop the bleeding by putting band-aids on the wound. Promote more from within. There is a very deep and rich well of experience that is untapped because a degree is valued more than experience and knowledge. Stop paying lip service to work/life balance. You will not attract and retain good workers if people don't feel valued. When I started working here, I felt I was valued and my input was also valued. When I left, I felt like just another cog in the machine.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Yes people only survive

Current Employee - Director in Neenah, WI
    Current Employee - Director in Neenah, WI

I have been working at Plexus full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great leaders in the past that really grew the company to be a true leader in their industry. They had a great model and really capitalized on creative thinkers.

Cons

Engineering in charge of sales and it is their way or the highway. They are only hiring yes people and do not encourage creative thinking.

Advice to Management

The people who really make a difference are often those who don’t quite fit in. The ones who don’t act in the same way as everyone else and take risks rather than following the status quo. So it is important to get the right mixture, and to delegate tasks to people with the correct skills sets.

2. Very poor training! Too many "out of state" temps working there.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Plexus as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual atmosphere, overtime if you want it, production leads that are nice, clean work areas, and A/C. If you want to learn a new skill you can if they need help in that area.

Cons

Temp workers from Illinois that get paid, plus live in a hotel and get all their meals paid for. Why aren't we getting people from Wisconsin to fill these jobs? Maybe they could increase our wages if we weren't supporting these out of state workers. Lord knows we have more than enough Wisconsin people looking for work.

Advice to Management

Come out of your "Ivory tower" offices and spend some time on the floor with the workers for a week. See what we actually do, who the good workers are and who sit around playing on their cell phones, shooting rubber bands, ignoring the new people that need help learning their job etc. Hire the good temps and give them a decent increase in wages, the amount of skill involved to work here is amazing and yet you pay minimal wages for this!