There are newer employer reviews for Plum District

Revolving door / Frequent job eliminations / Strongly not recommended

Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Work from home office / remotely
Generous vacation

Cons

They started out hiring a regional manager for each market in which they wanted to source local deals. They attracted accomplished sales talent, wooed them away from great jobs, to only eliminate their jobs in most case less than a year later. They seem to be fumbling around trying to get the model right to make a buck and pacify their investors. It's really one bad decision after another and, in the process, people are getting dismissed at whim. It's a volatile, unstable environment at it's very best.

All of the regional manager positions have now been eliminated so what they were building their reputation on - that local, connected-in-the-community mom - is now gone. Either they don't know what they're doing or they are cold and calculating. And, the message is all buttoned up in a simple, "We're re-organizing" each time a cut occurs.

You can see for yourself. Just do a simple search on LinkedIn and you can see how many used to work there. Don't kid yourself in thinking they were eliminated due to performance either.

No job security
Jobs eliminated with no notice (dozens of salaried sales management jobs eliminated)
Markets closed with no notice
Many co-workers worked here for less than a year (even as little as a few days) to have their jobs eliminated
No severance pay
Comp plans unfavorably changed at whim
Poor communication
Deals don't sell well for the most part so commissions are extremely low

Have some dignity and respect for people and stop hiring people when you know you're not going to employ them for long
Get it together, create a good plan that will work, review it, put it down and come back later to review again, make tweaks, then and only then implement and stick to it - stop with the knee-jerk reactions

45 Other Employee Reviews for Plum District (View Most Recent)

Stay Clear!

Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The concept is brilliant! There is no doubt that Moms are a very powerful buying force ... and even more importantly are a hugely untapped brilliant work force!

Cons

The beliefs and mantra of the company (FOR MOMS. BY MOMS.) is only skin deep. They only care about bottom like and disregard completely the fact that any success they have experience can be completely contributed to the Moms in the field working their connections. They eliminated jobs over Mother's Day weekend - enough said!

You have forgotten that the heart of your company is the moms out in the field! Yes ... we are powerful in our buying, networking and loyalty. But do us wrong and disrespect us ... we can become just as damaging as we can be valuable to your growth!

Avoid if you can -- unless you are in sales

I have been working at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free lunches and good PTO

Cons

Brutal culture, senior management is clueless, high voluntary turnover and general lack of understanding of how to build a profitable business. Has had good talent but can't keep them.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum District