Revolving door / Frequent job eliminations / Strongly not recommended

Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home office / remotely Generous vacation

Cons

They started out hiring a regional manager for each market in which they wanted to source local deals. They attracted accomplished sales talent, wooed them away from great jobs, to only eliminate their jobs in most case less than a year later. They seem to be fumbling around trying to get the model right to make a buck and pacify their investors. It's really one bad decision after another and, in the process, people are getting dismissed at whim. It's a volatile, unstable environment at it's very best. All of the regional manager positions have now been eliminated so what they were building their reputation on - that local, connected-in-the-community mom - is now gone. Either they don't know what they're doing or they are cold and calculating. And, the message is all buttoned up in a simple, "We're re-organizing" each time a cut occurs. You can see for yourself. Just do a simple search on LinkedIn and you can see how many used to work there. Don't kid yourself in thinking they were eliminated due to performance either. No job security Jobs eliminated with no notice (dozens of salaried sales management jobs eliminated) Markets closed with no notice Many co-workers worked here for less than a year (even as little as a few days) to have their jobs eliminated No severance pay Comp plans unfavorably changed at whim Poor communication Deals don't sell well for the most part so commissions are extremely low

Advice to Management

Have some dignity and respect for people and stop hiring people when you know you're not going to employ them for long Get it together, create a good plan that will work, review it, put it down and come back later to review again, make tweaks, then and only then implement and stick to it - stop with the knee-jerk reactions

Other Employee Reviews for Plum District

Good opportunity that went bad.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexibility, nice website, resume builder

Cons

They don't pay and the management is all over the place. They go out and hire the most connected moms (professionals) and expect them to work 60+ hours per week with no room for growth. The turnover is incredibly high and these moms leave very disgruntled leaving field sales managers in an endless cycle of hiring/training. They start and stop projects daily and hire and fire daily. This company is not going to be around much longer as funding has run out and they just laid off their entire sales force, save a few for a last ditch effort. Unfortunate because the concept is a good one, but a total sham.

Advice to Management

Get your resumes ready.

Stay Clear!

Former Employee - Regional Manager

I worked at Plum District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The concept is brilliant! There is no doubt that Moms are a very powerful buying force ... and even more importantly are a hugely untapped brilliant work force!

Cons

The beliefs and mantra of the company (FOR MOMS. BY MOMS.) is only skin deep. They only care about bottom like and disregard completely the fact that any success they have experience can be completely contributed to the Moms in the field working their connections. They eliminated jobs over Mother's Day weekend - enough said!

Advice to Management

You have forgotten that the heart of your company is the moms out in the field! Yes ... we are powerful in our buying, networking and loyalty. But do us wrong and disrespect us ... we can become just as damaging as we can be valuable to your growth!