Plum District

www.plumdistrict.com
  www.plumdistrict.com
There are newer employer reviews for Plum District

Good idea, some great individuals, lots of funding but incompetent leadership.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Met some intelligent, passionate people
- Great idea for a company powered by moms
- Kleiner Perkins backed
- Access to successful, inspirational guests that would come speak at the company
- Good pay, standard startup benefits

Cons

- Culture was depressing: employees from interns through management spent a huge amount of time talking negatively about company prospects and questioning the leadership team
- All of the best people I thought I could learn from had left
- Leadership was always telling us a story, but you could tell from employee buzz that people didn't believe it
- Employee satisfaction surveys in which I (and other co-workers I talked to) would give constructive feedback and low reviews never had an impact. Why ask if you don't plan to do anything?
- People disappeared with no explanation
- Sales goals were nearly impossible to reach
- Hitting an unrealistic number is not motivating--I joined to create jobs for moms and help local businesses
- Shady CEO
- CEO cheerleads all the positive growth, but the whole company knew if we didn't run 20-30% discounts, nothing would sell
- CEO treats employees like children (and not like a Mom). Morning roll-call, time wasting "Inbox zero" and time management exercises, people would leave her office crying, etc
- Lots of meetings, little follow through
- End of the month desperation to make numbers
- Lots of talk about values but the only real value was hitting unrealistic numbers
- Really bureaucratic for a startup

Your employees talk a lot more then you think they do. Everyone knows that you're spending way too much money and the revenue just isn't there. Spend less time trying to manipulate your people and more time helping them succeed. It's not about CEO cheerleading and making empty promises. Start 'Know(ing) your values and who you are and liv(ing) your li(ves) accordingly'. Stop copying everyone else a year too late and start doing something original. Decide if you care about moms. If you really do, then actually do something about it. Thank your lucky stars the people holding the purse strings haven't tossed you out yet.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Plum District (View Most Recent)

Employees are smart as a whip, but corrupt leadership tanks the startup.

Former Employee - Content Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Content Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

*Great coworkers - fun group of people to be around
    *Lots of talent, innovative thinkers, hard workers
    *Interesting idea that may have been effective if executed properly

Cons

*Utter disorganization, along with an overly bureaucratic mentality that prevents improvements in the structure and workflow of the company
    *Demoralizing senior level management
    *Awful team building exercises used to single out and humiliate individual employees
    *Unreasonable work expectations and hours
    *Insufficient training
    *Flash decisions made in a desperate attempt to inflate failing revenue targets with no regard for their impact on the future of the company

Listen to your employees and respond. They know what they're doing in the daily operation of the business better than you do. Don't lie about how things are going. Everybody knows, and dishonesty makes it unbearable.

District Consultant

Current Employee - District Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - District Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Plum District part-time (less than an year)

Pros

flex hours, great peer group

Cons

disorganized, no training, no direction, false promises of salary

There are newer employer reviews for Plum District