Plum District

www.plumdistrict.com
  www.plumdistrict.com
There are newer employer reviews for Plum District

Originally inspiring and well intentioned start-up, turned into a disaster and horrific place to work

Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Good learning experience: Because there were not enough resources and I took on the roles of 2-3 people, I was able to learn a lot and crammed in what seemed like 4 years worth of work experience into my year and a half at Plum District.

- Some great people: So many of the people working at Plum District are/were talented, interesting, smart and great to work with. The coworkers were what kept me at the company for nearly a year after I became extremely unhappy and first considered leaving (I eventually did leave, voluntarily).

-Inspiring idea: I still love the idea of empowering moms to be able to work on their own time and schedule to earn money while still being present in their children's lives. It's unfortunate that it hasn't been executed well at Plum District.

Cons

-Brutal, toxic, practically abusive working environment and CEO management style. It was really an environment of fear - the CEO especially did not treat people with respect or dignity, and many people simply disappeared with no explanation or acknowledgment.

-Hypocrisy: Management always spoke to maintaining a good work/life balance and being less chaotic at work, but didn't help the company make any changes to allow for this balance. When I worked at Plum District, I worked 70-90 hours a week. I was adequately compensated (although 10K under industry average for my position), but I know many of my co-workers worked the same hours and were horrifically underpaid, despite their attempt at negotiating a well deserved raise.

-Absurd company goals that were not realistic and the desperate attempts to reach them led to shady and demotivating practices.

-Poor internal communication and people quick to blame others or throw them under the bus. I believe much of this was due to the toxic and fearful environment created by management.

-Extremely low morale and high turnover rate: Even when I was there, it was becoming clearer and clearer that the business model simply didn't work. Without discounts, nothing sold. Burn out rate was also extremely high. Between voluntarily and involuntary turn-over, it was rare that anyone lasted more than a year. Since its start in April of 2010, Plum District has gone through: 3 VPs of Marketing, 2 VPs of Sales, 2 VPs of Product, 1 VP of Technology and 1 VP of Business Development. And this is just the highest level management team - I can't even begin to count the number of Regional Managers & other corporate employees who have left / been forced to leave.

Remember your humanity and recognize the loyalty, dedication, and amazing work that people are giving to your company. Think about the long-term growth and stop making every decision based on the end of month goals. Stand up when you think an idea or practice is unethical or demoralizing. Listen - really listen - when people have the courage to express their opinions or offer constructive criticism. Find something original to do with the incredible network of moms that you have rather than trying to make the daily deal platform work - it won't.

45 Other Employee Reviews for Plum District (View Most Recent)

Plum District is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

Former Employee - District Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - District Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A total fraud of a company. The article today was right on!

Cons

A horrible company. The CEO has a 0 % approval rating. Need I say more?

Firing moms with no notice? How about pushing out pregnant moms!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

free food
    cool office
    mostly nice coworkers, hard working people.

Cons

CEO is a nightmare
    CEO Openly berated employees in a public setting
    CEO attempted to restructure comp when sales people were making too much.

Company is a sham "for moms by moms" and the CEO is not even a mom

Management threatened to fire 2 pregnant moms for non performance upon hearing they were pregnant.

There is 0 work life balance at this company. If you don't have your phone under your pillow you will not survive.

Take the money and run before your company fails outright.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum District