Plum District

www.plumdistrict.com
  www.plumdistrict.com
There are newer employer reviews for Plum District

Woefully unqualified CEO + zero leaders with any online ecommerce experience = Disaster

Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Former Corporate Office Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to learn about chaos and fast-paced environment of start-up
Lunch 3 days a week
Smart, talented co-workers
Potential of Plum District in the marketplace
KPCB-backed

Cons

CEO is smart but not qualified to run the company and a board who would talk about her behind her back but never removed her
Botched acquisition and non-integration of 2 companies
Poor communication and leadership accountability
Poor decision-making by CEO and leadership - none have had online ecommerce experience
Zero transparency into goals and strategy of company
Never a plan in place to actually make money
No sales strategy ever put in place - esp when Megan ran sales
Zero understanding of marketing, including acquisition, promotions, retention
Very poor understanding of how to treat people - and I believe I was one of the ones who was treated relatively well

Since Plum District isn't hiring, and management doesn't really care about views of anyone, just that I will remember my experience here and never work with anyone in this leadership team again and will encourage others to do so as well. I am most disappointed by the board, who are experienced enough to know when someone is giving them the runaround, and should have yanked the CEO out of her role long ago.

47 Other Employee Reviews for Plum District (View Most Recent)

They are Just Plum Dumb

Former Employee - Regional Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Talented female Regional Managers. Work from home position.

Cons

Misrepresented Regional Manager compensation in the interview process. Constantly changed compensation and goal structures to not have to pay both Regional Managers and District Consultants. Upper management is very cold and has selective memory when it comes to things they've promised. Fired the entire Regional Manager team after wining and dining them in San Francisco, including one woman who left a job on Friday to be fired the following week. Very reactionary.

Go find some new jobs. The company won't be around long. Then there's that Karma thing.

Good idea, some great individuals, lots of funding but incompetent leadership.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Plum District full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Met some intelligent, passionate people
    - Great idea for a company powered by moms
    - Kleiner Perkins backed
    - Access to successful, inspirational guests that would come speak at the company
    - Good pay, standard startup benefits

Cons

- Culture was depressing: employees from interns through management spent a huge amount of time talking negatively about company prospects and questioning the leadership team
    - All of the best people I thought I could learn from had left
    - Leadership was always telling us a story, but you could tell from employee buzz that people didn't believe it
    - Employee satisfaction surveys in which I (and other co-workers I talked to) would give constructive feedback and low reviews never had an impact. Why ask if you don't plan to do anything?
    - People disappeared with no explanation
    - Sales goals were nearly impossible to reach
    - Hitting an unrealistic number is not motivating--I joined to create jobs for moms and help local businesses
    - Shady CEO
    - CEO cheerleads all the positive growth, but the whole company knew if we didn't run 20-30% discounts, nothing would sell
    - CEO treats employees like children (and not like a Mom). Morning roll-call, time wasting "Inbox zero" and time management exercises, people would leave her office crying, etc
    - Lots of meetings, little follow through
    - End of the month desperation to make numbers
    - Lots of talk about values but the only real value was hitting unrealistic numbers
    - Really bureaucratic for a startup

Your employees talk a lot more then you think they do. Everyone knows that you're spending way too much money and the revenue just isn't there. Spend less time trying to manipulate your people and more time helping them succeed. It's not about CEO cheerleading and making empty promises. Start 'Know(ing) your values and who you are and liv(ing) your li(ves) accordingly'. Stop copying everyone else a year too late and start doing something original. Decide if you care about moms. If you really do, then actually do something about it. Thank your lucky stars the people holding the purse strings haven't tossed you out yet.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum District