There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

Not a great company for growth opportunities

Current Employee - Department Manager
Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

Employees get a 15% discount. The stores are generally clean and the people I work alongside and who work for me are very good.

Cons

I was very excited to work for Plum Market. My shopping experiences there had always been exceptional. And the job description given to me for my position sounded like a great opportunity. A couple months into working here, after having the chance to peek behind the curtain what I have discovered is that nearly all of the mid-level managers live in fear of being fired every day. After a few people made comments to me that they were fearful for their job security I started asking why and was told that people get fired for "no reason" all the time. I recently witnessed this myself when a well-liked colleague was let go after never having received any negative feedback regarding her performance.
The work environment is very stressful due to the fact that there is poor communication from senior management and constant arbitrary changes being made that affect ones ability to perform their given job. There is a small handful of people in high positions who are personal friends with the owners and they generally coast through their days while everyone else feels they could be fired if the owner is having a bad day.
I would not recommend anyone to work here. I am currently exploring other options. If you have grocery experience with a high end retailer, you will be disappointed working here. The pay for management positions is lower than the industry standard and you will likely feel abused daily.
The benefits here are really poor and I almost left the day I filled out my paperwork and saw how bad it was. Much worse than any of the other local family owned stores.

Senior management/owners need to have more faith in the people that they have hired and allow us to perform our duties without being micromanaged. I understand that these owners have a lot on the line, these stores support multiple members of their families, but they get too emotional and display very unprofessional behavior when dealing with hourly employees. I've seen them yell at minimum wage workers rather than discussing issues with the managers on duty to allow the correct handling of the problem. Outsource your HR to a good company so you stop treating your employees as though they are disposable.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Plum Market (View Most Recent)

I have little respect for the management. It makes it difficult for me to work there.

Current Employee - Stocker
    Current Employee - Stocker

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

I have some great coworkers

Cons

Management lacks respect for the employees that they are paying meager wages to.

A company with a lot of potential

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for less than a year

Pros

I've been impressed with how well store management has their employees' backs. The customers can be nasty but every encounter I've had or seen someone have has left me pleasantly surprised after upper management gets involved.

I'm extremely impressed with how quickly you can grow in the company. There are at least 4 new stores in the works and Plum is extremely focused on internal promotion. They really stick by that too.

They have a pretty open policy on trying their food so you can understand it better. Don't get me wrong, it's expensive and you'll never be able to afford shopping there, but you learn a lot about what the upper class eats.

Cons

Nepotism. There are people there, literally, because they can't be fired, not because they're good at their job.

Disorganization. Plum is a new company and new SOP's are being dreamt up every day. It gets confusing but it's also really neat because, in such a state of flux, you can have direct influence on the way the company's run just by suggesting things and being motivated.

Communication needs to be clearer. I've seen 3 of your best ground level employees leave or nearly leave because they communicated something and no response was given to them in a reasonable time. Middle management could use some strengthening. Honestly overall, it's a great company. I'm so proud to work for them and can't wait to see where I'll go with them!!

There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

Worked for Plum Market? Contribute to the Community!