There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

Not a great company for growth opportunities

Current Employee - Department Manager
Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

Employees get a 15% discount. The stores are generally clean and the people I work alongside and who work for me are very good.

Cons

I was very excited to work for Plum Market. My shopping experiences there had always been exceptional. And the job description given to me for my position sounded like a great opportunity. A couple months into working here, after having the chance to peek behind the curtain what I have discovered is that nearly all of the mid-level managers live in fear of being fired every day. After a few people made comments to me that they were fearful for their job security I started asking why and was told that people get fired for "no reason" all the time. I recently witnessed this myself when a well-liked colleague was let go after never having received any negative feedback regarding her performance. The work environment is very stressful due to the fact that there is poor communication from senior management and constant arbitrary changes being made that affect ones ability to perform their given job. There is a small handful of people in high positions who are personal friends with the owners and they generally coast through their days while everyone else feels they could be fired if the owner is having a bad day. I would not recommend anyone to work here. I am currently exploring other options. If you have grocery experience with a high end retailer, you will be disappointed working here. The pay for management positions is lower than the industry standard and you will likely feel abused daily. The benefits here are really poor and I almost left the day I filled out my paperwork and saw how bad it was. Much worse than any of the other local family owned stores.

Advice to Management

Senior management/owners need to have more faith in the people that they have hired and allow us to perform our duties without being micromanaged. I understand that these owners have a lot on the line, these stores support multiple members of their families, but they get too emotional and display very unprofessional behavior when dealing with hourly employees. I've seen them yell at minimum wage workers rather than discussing issues with the managers on duty to allow the correct handling of the problem. Outsource your HR to a good company so you stop treating your employees as though they are disposable.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I have little respect for the management. It makes it difficult for me to work there.

Current Employee - Stocker
    Current Employee - Stocker

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

I have some great coworkers

Cons

Management lacks respect for the employees that they are paying meager wages to.

2. Team member

Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Team Member in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic place to work. Lots of opportunity. Management is not only supportive, but takes the time to help develop your career. The team leader group works very well together and is very supportive.

Cons

We have several 'bosses' sometimes it's difficult to take constant direction from so many people.

Advice to Management

I have been very happy with my management. The executive team to store leadership has been very accessible, and enables me to take ownership of my team.