Not a great company for growth opportunities

Current Employee - Department Manager
Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

Employees get a 15% discount. The stores are generally clean and the people I work alongside and who work for me are very good.

Cons

I was very excited to work for Plum Market. My shopping experiences there had always been exceptional. And the job description given to me for my position sounded like a great opportunity. A couple months into working here, after having the chance to peek behind the curtain what I have discovered is that nearly all of the mid-level managers live in fear of being fired every day. After a few people made comments to me that they were fearful for their job security I started asking why and was told that people get fired for "no reason" all the time. I recently witnessed this myself when a well-liked colleague was let go after never having received any negative feedback regarding her performance.
The work environment is very stressful due to the fact that there is poor communication from senior management and constant arbitrary changes being made that affect ones ability to perform their given job. There is a small handful of people in high positions who are personal friends with the owners and they generally coast through their days while everyone else feels they could be fired if the owner is having a bad day.
I would not recommend anyone to work here. I am currently exploring other options. If you have grocery experience with a high end retailer, you will be disappointed working here. The pay for management positions is lower than the industry standard and you will likely feel abused daily.
The benefits here are really poor and I almost left the day I filled out my paperwork and saw how bad it was. Much worse than any of the other local family owned stores.

Senior management/owners need to have more faith in the people that they have hired and allow us to perform our duties without being micromanaged. I understand that these owners have a lot on the line, these stores support multiple members of their families, but they get too emotional and display very unprofessional behavior when dealing with hourly employees. I've seen them yell at minimum wage workers rather than discussing issues with the managers on duty to allow the correct handling of the problem. Outsource your HR to a good company so you stop treating your employees as though they are disposable.

Other Reviews for Plum Market

I have little respect for the management. It makes it difficult for me to work there.

Current Employee - Stocker
    Current Employee - Stocker

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

I have some great coworkers

Cons

Management lacks respect for the employees that they are paying meager wages to.

Positive and Progressive work environment

Current Employee - Cashier  in  West Bloomfield, MI
    Current Employee - Cashier in West Bloomfield, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working for Plum was a truly wonderful experience. The work place was fast paced, highly energetic, and uplifting. I learned so much about the food industry. . Not only is the pay great, employees also receive a 15% discount on purchases. Everyone I work with from upper management to the team members take extreme pride in doing their job well. I also learnt a great deal about healthy living and food selection.

Cons

As with most retailers, you may end up working some holidays

There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market.

Worked for Plum Market? Contribute to the Community!