Plum Market

www.plummarket.com

worst management job I ever had

Bakery Director (Former Employee) Bloomfield Hills, MI

ProsI worked with a handful of great people who unfortunately tend to be overqualified and under-appreciated in their roles.

ConsPoor benefits, volatile owner/management, inconsistent demands and expectations, no feedback given regarding performance.

I've worked some "hot heads" in my day, I was in the restaurant industry for several years and worked for corporate cronies after that. But, this place takes the cake. I was even asked in my interview if I could handle working for a demanding and sometimes irrational boss. I thought I had seen it all so I said "yes."

I was a department Director between 3 different location and was constantly told by the owner how great the management team that was handed to me was. However, I found them to be whiners and complainers who had no business in a leadership role of any kind, nor were they interested in solving their own problems or being mentored. I was constantly baby-sitting these these kids and trying to resolve their issues with their own employees. It was something akin to being a Resident Advisor at college. "He said this....she did that"

They constantly expected me to do half of their job in addition to my own. I have been mentoring managers for years and was expecting to do so in this role, but no matter how much I tried, they refuses to learn or grow professionally. One of them consistently picked fights with one of our most important vendors on a regular basis. The manager before me spent way too much time with them outside of work socially and coddled them on the job because they were friends. I was told repeatedly by the owner who hired me that behavior like that was NOT to continue.

The owner always told me I was doing a good job. I never had a performance review or got feedback that I was struggling to live up to the expectations or demands of my position. After they fired the only HR person in the company (he was "unnecessary," even though he was the only one with a clue regarding HR), they assigned an Assistant Store Manager to oversee employee relations. I approached her about a 6 month performance review I was promised when I accepted the job. She said she would take it up with the owner. I never got it, but was let go 3 months later.

I was somewhat happy to leave, since the last time I saw my immediate supervisor, the owner, was when he was loudly berating minimum wage employees for not doing things his way quickly enough after they had all been working 8+ hours on the busiest day of the year, Christmas Eve. I was shocked by his behavior and over the holidays considered making an escape. However, when I returned to work after the holiday, the same aforementioned Assistant Manager called me to come to another location an hour away for an emergency meeting. It was there, without the presence of my supervisor and the one who hired me, that I was let go with no reason. Fired by a person I had never reported to while the owner hid in his office.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be more professional. Give solid feedback, if people in management positions cannot handle REAL feedback, they are probably not qualified to manage.

If there's one place you shouldn't apply to, it's the Plum Market, particularly the West Bloomfield store.

(Former Employee) West Bloomfield, MI

I worked at Plum Market

Pros: I really can't think of any pros, I mean I… Cons: Right off the bat on my very first day I set my apron down on the counter to go use the restroom and when I… Advice to Senior Management: Start to actually take a look at the people you've hired to run the company for you. Ignore the fact that they're… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Bakery Team Leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum Market

Pros: Several great co-workers, good discount on groceries Cons: While I was an employee, I saw numerous managers come and go in all departments. I became a manager because mine was fired. One week… Advice to Senior Management: Don't ever leave Plum Market because the things that you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Plum Market.

Worked for Plum Market? Contribute to the Community!