Plum Market

www.plummarket.com
  www.plummarket.com
There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

worst management job I ever had

Former Employee - Bakery Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI
Former Employee - Bakery Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with a handful of great people who unfortunately tend to be overqualified and under-appreciated in their roles.

Cons

Poor benefits, volatile owner/management, inconsistent demands and expectations, no feedback given regarding performance.

I've worked some "hot heads" in my day, I was in the restaurant industry for several years and worked for corporate cronies after that. But, this place takes the cake. I was even asked in my interview if I could handle working for a demanding and sometimes irrational boss. I thought I had seen it all so I said "yes."

I was a department Director between 3 different location and was constantly told by the owner how great the management team that was handed to me was. However, I found them to be whiners and complainers who had no business in a leadership role of any kind, nor were they interested in solving their own problems or being mentored. I was constantly baby-sitting these these kids and trying to resolve their issues with their own employees. It was something akin to being a Resident Advisor at college. "He said this....she did that"

They constantly expected me to do half of their job in addition to my own. I have been mentoring managers for years and was expecting to do so in this role, but no matter how much I tried, they refuses to learn or grow professionally. One of them consistently picked fights with one of our most important vendors on a regular basis. The manager before me spent way too much time with them outside of work socially and coddled them on the job because they were friends. I was told repeatedly by the owner who hired me that behavior like that was NOT to continue.

The owner always told me I was doing a good job. I never had a performance review or got feedback that I was struggling to live up to the expectations or demands of my position. After they fired the only HR person in the company (he was "unnecessary," even though he was the only one with a clue regarding HR), they assigned an Assistant Store Manager to oversee employee relations. I approached her about a 6 month performance review I was promised when I accepted the job. She said she would take it up with the owner. I never got it, but was let go 3 months later.

I was somewhat happy to leave, since the last time I saw my immediate supervisor, the owner, was when he was loudly berating minimum wage employees for not doing things his way quickly enough after they had all been working 8+ hours on the busiest day of the year, Christmas Eve. I was shocked by his behavior and over the holidays considered making an escape. However, when I returned to work after the holiday, the same aforementioned Assistant Manager called me to come to another location an hour away for an emergency meeting. It was there, without the presence of my supervisor and the one who hired me, that I was let go with no reason. Fired by a person I had never reported to while the owner hid in his office.

Try to be more professional. Give solid feedback, if people in management positions cannot handle REAL feedback, they are probably not qualified to manage.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Plum Market (View Most Recent)

If there's one place you shouldn't apply to, it's the Plum Market, particularly the West Bloomfield store.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

I worked at Plum Market

Pros

I really can't think of any pros, I mean I was paid well, but it really wasn't worth staying for.

Cons

Right off the bat on my very first day I set my apron down on the counter to go use the restroom and when I came back my team members were literally surprised to see me because the first thought in their mind when they saw me take off my apron was that I must have quit...on my first day. That should have been a clue about the work experience I was going to about to have.

I found out that although the location I was working at hadn't even been open for a year, only two people remained out of the original staff...Those two quit less than two months later. Only one of them was actually working on the one year anniversary, ironically her last day of work.

What you have is a rapidly expanding chain of stores financed by two guys who got their fortune from the buy out of their father's very successful retail chain by Whole Foods. Only one of the two seems to have a good retail know how, the other taller one seems to have no experience or for that matter ability to manage effectively, which he, sadly, is the one that you see more often then not. If you work here, be prepared to deal with daily temper tantrums from him and an ever changing mind on what he'd like to see done in a day.

The problem lies solely within the upper management of the stores, the team leaders and department managers seemed like good people, but the rest of the administration staff is highly ineffective. To give examples, a good chunk of the upper management is made up of friends and family of the two owners, and not just the usual son or daughter kind of thing, first cousins, second cousins, people who lived down the street, you name it, previous retail experience wasn't a concern.

So with that, if one person randomly decides he doesn't like you and starts filling out negative performance reviews about you to try to get you out of the store, there's nothing you can say or do to defend yourself or appeal to a higher authority like in most stores. The family will never doubt another family member and since all of the family members are managers of some type, you're screwed.

Want proof? Check the Ann Arbor or Detroit Metro Craiglist Jobs section and just search the word "Plum" I can almost guarantee you that you'll always find multiple listings. I found 10 just now and only 2 of those listings weren't from the Plum Market.

Start to actually take a look at the people you've hired to run the company for you. Ignore the fact that they're family members and think about their performance as employees, there is a reason that most people try to keep business and family separate.

Employers such as this are a fine example of why we still need Employee Unions.

I have been working at Plum Market full-time

Pros

Some of the non-management employees are great, but they don't last long.

Cons

Utter contempt, and blatant disregard, for various employment law, safety, and general employee well being.

Many employers avoid unionization because they realize they have to treat their employees with at least a small amount of decency. Plum Market seems not to realize this, or care, and thus the employees of Plum will organize. Plum's problem stems from the top, or should I say bottom. I'm fairly certain there is no hope for Plum's reform.

My advice to current employees is to educate yourself to your rights under the laws of Michigan and the United States of America.

My advice to former employees who believe they have had their rights violated under the law is to talk to a lawyer. They may take your case for free.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market