Plum Market

www.plummarket.com
  www.plummarket.com
There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

The wheel is turning...but the hamsters are dead.

I worked at Plum Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made a lot of great friends at Plum. I still talk to many of them. I met many great people while working for them. I learned a lot as well about the product I was selling, but that was mainly due to my own desire to learn and grow, not the company's desire for me to learn.

Cons

Upper management is all over the place. While working at one store I was called a "b*tch" by someone in upper management who never took 5 minutes out of his busy day of talking football stats with the other dudes in the store to actually talk to me. Now he runs that store. At the other store I worked for an ineffective, socially stunted and slightly sociopathic manager. When taking my complaints to him, or even just seeking advice, 9 times out of 10 I left shaking my head with frustration with nothing done to change things and nothing to give me the power to make a difference.

There is no consistency when it comes to performance, reviews or discipline. To have a year where your department is the highest comping department in the company, only to be give a $150 gift card TO THEIR OWN STORE is crazy. Just crazy. In this economy and industry, when you comp double digits you pretty much rock. But don't expect your managers to tell you that or to even pat you on the back.

While the idea of working for a company that was locally founded, sold many local products and seemed to have a good culture as a foundation was appealing to me. However, the level of stress that comes with getting 5 different directions thrown at you from 5 different managers was too much to handle.

The owners are hot headed and, at times, irrational. Yet they provide no incentive to do well. No reason to want to do better. Unless you are a family member or close personal friend of course. Nepotism runs high at Plum.

Pay attention to your employees and their moods. Listen to their concerns and address them. Keep a consistent focus on what is to be expected of your employees. And when those expectation are high (which they always are) compensate accordingly. Don't be surprised when the people who are doing their best all of a sudden up and leave you for greener pastures.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Plum Market (View Most Recent)

Stay Away!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, cool co-workers.

Cons

I'm pretty sure all the current reviews are fake. Notice how they were written on the same date? I guess now I know what the Team Leaders are doing while sitting in the office all day long. The people who wrote all the previous negative reviews hit the nail on the head.

You need to set clear goals and expectations for your employees. There are too many heads (Team Leader, Store Team Leader, Assistant Store Team Leader, Closing Team Leader, Supervisor, Owners) telling employees what to do and there is zero consistency.

worst management job I ever had

Former Employee - Bakery Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Bakery Director in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked with a handful of great people who unfortunately tend to be overqualified and under-appreciated in their roles.

Cons

Poor benefits, volatile owner/management, inconsistent demands and expectations, no feedback given regarding performance.

I've worked some "hot heads" in my day, I was in the restaurant industry for several years and worked for corporate cronies after that. But, this place takes the cake. I was even asked in my interview if I could handle working for a demanding and sometimes irrational boss. I thought I had seen it all so I said "yes."

I was a department Director between 3 different location and was constantly told by the owner how great the management team that was handed to me was. However, I found them to be whiners and complainers who had no business in a leadership role of any kind, nor were they interested in solving their own problems or being mentored. I was constantly baby-sitting these these kids and trying to resolve their issues with their own employees. It was something akin to being a Resident Advisor at college. "He said this....she did that"

They constantly expected me to do half of their job in addition to my own. I have been mentoring managers for years and was expecting to do so in this role, but no matter how much I tried, they refuses to learn or grow professionally. One of them consistently picked fights with one of our most important vendors on a regular basis. The manager before me spent way too much time with them outside of work socially and coddled them on the job because they were friends. I was told repeatedly by the owner who hired me that behavior like that was NOT to continue.

The owner always told me I was doing a good job. I never had a performance review or got feedback that I was struggling to live up to the expectations or demands of my position. After they fired the only HR person in the company (he was "unnecessary," even though he was the only one with a clue regarding HR), they assigned an Assistant Store Manager to oversee employee relations. I approached her about a 6 month performance review I was promised when I accepted the job. She said she would take it up with the owner. I never got it, but was let go 3 months later.

I was somewhat happy to leave, since the last time I saw my immediate supervisor, the owner, was when he was loudly berating minimum wage employees for not doing things his way quickly enough after they had all been working 8+ hours on the busiest day of the year, Christmas Eve. I was shocked by his behavior and over the holidays considered making an escape. However, when I returned to work after the holiday, the same aforementioned Assistant Manager called me to come to another location an hour away for an emergency meeting. It was there, without the presence of my supervisor and the one who hired me, that I was let go with no reason. Fired by a person I had never reported to while the owner hid in his office.

Try to be more professional. Give solid feedback, if people in management positions cannot handle REAL feedback, they are probably not qualified to manage.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market