Plum Market
www.plummarket.com West Bloomfield, MI 500 to 999 Employees

The wheel is turning...but the hamsters are dead.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI made a lot of great friends at Plum. I still talk to many of them. I met many great people while working for them. I learned a lot as well about the product I was selling, but that was mainly due to my own desire to learn and grow, not the company's desire for me to learn.

ConsUpper management is all over the place. While working at one store I was called a "b*tch" by someone in upper management who never took 5 minutes out of his busy day of talking football stats with the other dudes in the store to actually talk to me. Now he runs that store. At the other store I worked for an ineffective, socially stunted and slightly sociopathic manager. When taking my complaints to him, or even just seeking advice, 9 times out of 10 I left shaking my head with frustration with nothing done to change things and nothing to give me the power to make a difference.

There is no consistency when it comes to performance, reviews or discipline. To have a year where your department is the highest comping department in the company, only to be give a $150 gift card TO THEIR OWN STORE is crazy. Just crazy. In this economy and industry, when you comp double digits you pretty much rock. But don't expect your managers to tell you that or to even pat you on the back.

While the idea of working for a company that was locally founded, sold many local products and seemed to have a good culture as a foundation was appealing to me. However, the level of stress that comes with getting 5 different directions thrown at you from 5 different managers was too much to handle.

The owners are hot headed and, at times, irrational. Yet they provide no incentive to do well. No reason to want to do better. Unless you are a family member or close personal friend of course. Nepotism runs high at Plum.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your employees and their moods. Listen to their concerns and address them. Keep a consistent focus on what is to be expected of your employees. And when those expectation are high (which they always are) compensate accordingly. Don't be surprised when the people who are doing their best all of a sudden up and leave you for greener pastures.

Stay Away!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Bloomfield Township, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time for more than a year

Pros: Pay is decent, cool co-workers. Cons: I'm pretty sure all the current reviews are fake. Notice how they were written on the same date? I guess now I know… Advice to Senior Management: You need to set clear goals and expectations for your employees. There are too many heads (Team Leader, Store… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

worst management job I ever had

Bakery Director (Former Employee)
    Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Plum Market full-time for less than a year

Pros: I worked with a handful of great people who unfortunately… Cons: Poor benefits, volatile owner/management, inconsistent demands and expectations, no feedback given regarding performance. I've worked some "hot heads" in my day, I was in the restaurant… Advice to Senior Management: Try to be more professional. Give solid feedback, if people in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Plum Market.

Worked for Plum Market? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum Market reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plum Market CEO Matthew Jonna. All reviews posted anonymously by Plum Market employees.