There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

Absolutely miserable

I have been working at Plum Market

Pros

I love my coworkers, and most of the team leaders.

Cons

I have been working in the grocery business for over. 6 years and have never had such a terrible experience. So far, I have only been working for plum for about 3 months but it feels like an eternity. The upper management is completely disrespectful to hourly employees and the pay is very unsatisfactory. Whole Foods and Trader Joes offer a much better pay rate. I took this job because I was desperate after moving to a new city. I am currently looking for a new job and will be very glad to leave. The rich spoiled owners throw terrible fits and berate workers in front of customers, the experience is very demoralizing.

Therapy, you people have serious issues. Nobody should be this negative all the time. If you do not improve your behavior, employees will not stick with your company.

23 Other Employee Reviews for Plum Market (View Most Recent)

Undesirable, Unrewarding, Bad Choice.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Plum Market full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fellow team members are great! I've worked with some really amazing people here and made quite a few lasting friendships.

Cons

Expectations and punishments are inconsistent, and based totally on the day to day whims of those in charge. Management is incredibly two-faced and responds mostly to butt-kissing and very little to quality of work. There is very little follow through on promises and new ideas are of no value. I also have been talked to, and heard others talked to in some of the most disrespectful language I have ever experienced from superiors. They try to create dissonance within a team, which they prefer to team members being too close.

Respect your employees, under every circumstance, or they won't respect you. Honor real hard work, and not sucking-up.

The wheel is turning...but the hamsters are dead.

I worked at Plum Market full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I made a lot of great friends at Plum. I still talk to many of them. I met many great people while working for them. I learned a lot as well about the product I was selling, but that was mainly due to my own desire to learn and grow, not the company's desire for me to learn.

Cons

Upper management is all over the place. While working at one store I was called a "b*tch" by someone in upper management who never took 5 minutes out of his busy day of talking football stats with the other dudes in the store to actually talk to me. Now he runs that store. At the other store I worked for an ineffective, socially stunted and slightly sociopathic manager. When taking my complaints to him, or even just seeking advice, 9 times out of 10 I left shaking my head with frustration with nothing done to change things and nothing to give me the power to make a difference.

There is no consistency when it comes to performance, reviews or discipline. To have a year where your department is the highest comping department in the company, only to be give a $150 gift card TO THEIR OWN STORE is crazy. Just crazy. In this economy and industry, when you comp double digits you pretty much rock. But don't expect your managers to tell you that or to even pat you on the back.

While the idea of working for a company that was locally founded, sold many local products and seemed to have a good culture as a foundation was appealing to me. However, the level of stress that comes with getting 5 different directions thrown at you from 5 different managers was too much to handle.

The owners are hot headed and, at times, irrational. Yet they provide no incentive to do well. No reason to want to do better. Unless you are a family member or close personal friend of course. Nepotism runs high at Plum.

Pay attention to your employees and their moods. Listen to their concerns and address them. Keep a consistent focus on what is to be expected of your employees. And when those expectation are high (which they always are) compensate accordingly. Don't be surprised when the people who are doing their best all of a sudden up and leave you for greener pastures.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market