Plum Market
plummarket.com West Bloomfield, MI 500 to 999 Employees

If there's one place you shouldn't apply to, it's the Plum Market, particularly the West Bloomfield store.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
West Bloomfield, MI

I worked at Plum Market

ProsI really can't think of any pros, I mean I was paid well, but it really wasn't worth staying for.

ConsRight off the bat on my very first day I set my apron down on the counter to go use the restroom and when I came back my team members were literally surprised to see me because the first thought in their mind when they saw me take off my apron was that I must have quit...on my first day. That should have been a clue about the work experience I was going to about to have.

I found out that although the location I was working at hadn't even been open for a year, only two people remained out of the original staff...Those two quit less than two months later. Only one of them was actually working on the one year anniversary, ironically her last day of work.

What you have is a rapidly expanding chain of stores financed by two guys who got their fortune from the buy out of their father's very successful retail chain by Whole Foods. Only one of the two seems to have a good retail know how, the other taller one seems to have no experience or for that matter ability to manage effectively, which he, sadly, is the one that you see more often then not. If you work here, be prepared to deal with daily temper tantrums from him and an ever changing mind on what he'd like to see done in a day.

The problem lies solely within the upper management of the stores, the team leaders and department managers seemed like good people, but the rest of the administration staff is highly ineffective. To give examples, a good chunk of the upper management is made up of friends and family of the two owners, and not just the usual son or daughter kind of thing, first cousins, second cousins, people who lived down the street, you name it, previous retail experience wasn't a concern.

So with that, if one person randomly decides he doesn't like you and starts filling out negative performance reviews about you to try to get you out of the store, there's nothing you can say or do to defend yourself or appeal to a higher authority like in most stores. The family will never doubt another family member and since all of the family members are managers of some type, you're screwed.

Want proof? Check the Ann Arbor or Detroit Metro Craiglist Jobs section and just search the word "Plum" I can almost guarantee you that you'll always find multiple listings. I found 10 just now and only 2 of those listings weren't from the Plum Market.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to actually take a look at the people you've hired to run the company for you. Ignore the fact that they're family members and think about their performance as employees, there is a reason that most people try to keep business and family separate.

Bakery Team Leader

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Plum Market

Pros: Several great co-workers, good discount on groceries Cons: While I was an employee, I saw numerous managers come and go in all departments. I became a manager because mine was fired. One week… Advice to Senior Management: Don't ever leave Plum Market because the things that you… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Employers such as this are a fine example of why we still need Employee Unions.

I have been working at Plum Market full-time

Pros: Some of the non-management employees are great, but they don't… Cons: Utter contempt, and blatant disregard, for various employment law, safety,… Advice to Senior Management: Many employers avoid unionization because they realize they have to treat their employees with at least a small amount of decency. Plum Market seems not… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Plum Market.

Worked for Plum Market? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Plum Market reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Plum Market CEO Matthew Jonna. All reviews posted anonymously by Plum Market employees.