Plum Market

www.plummarket.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market

If there's one place you shouldn't apply to, it's the Plum Market, particularly the West Bloomfield store.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Bloomfield, MI

I worked at Plum Market

Pros

I really can't think of any pros, I mean I was paid well, but it really wasn't worth staying for.

Cons

Right off the bat on my very first day I set my apron down on the counter to go use the restroom and when I came back my team members were literally surprised to see me because the first thought in their mind when they saw me take off my apron was that I must have quit...on my first day. That should have been a clue about the work experience I was going to about to have.

I found out that although the location I was working at hadn't even been open for a year, only two people remained out of the original staff...Those two quit less than two months later. Only one of them was actually working on the one year anniversary, ironically her last day of work.

What you have is a rapidly expanding chain of stores financed by two guys who got their fortune from the buy out of their father's very successful retail chain by Whole Foods. Only one of the two seems to have a good retail know how, the other taller one seems to have no experience or for that matter ability to manage effectively, which he, sadly, is the one that you see more often then not. If you work here, be prepared to deal with daily temper tantrums from him and an ever changing mind on what he'd like to see done in a day.

The problem lies solely within the upper management of the stores, the team leaders and department managers seemed like good people, but the rest of the administration staff is highly ineffective. To give examples, a good chunk of the upper management is made up of friends and family of the two owners, and not just the usual son or daughter kind of thing, first cousins, second cousins, people who lived down the street, you name it, previous retail experience wasn't a concern.

So with that, if one person randomly decides he doesn't like you and starts filling out negative performance reviews about you to try to get you out of the store, there's nothing you can say or do to defend yourself or appeal to a higher authority like in most stores. The family will never doubt another family member and since all of the family members are managers of some type, you're screwed.

Want proof? Check the Ann Arbor or Detroit Metro Craiglist Jobs section and just search the word "Plum" I can almost guarantee you that you'll always find multiple listings. I found 10 just now and only 2 of those listings weren't from the Plum Market.

Start to actually take a look at the people you've hired to run the company for you. Ignore the fact that they're family members and think about their performance as employees, there is a reason that most people try to keep business and family separate.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Plum Market (View Most Recent)

Employers such as this are a fine example of why we still need Employee Unions.

I have been working at Plum Market full-time

Pros

Some of the non-management employees are great, but they don't last long.

Cons

Utter contempt, and blatant disregard, for various employment law, safety, and general employee well being.

Many employers avoid unionization because they realize they have to treat their employees with at least a small amount of decency. Plum Market seems not to realize this, or care, and thus the employees of Plum will organize. Plum's problem stems from the top, or should I say bottom. I'm fairly certain there is no hope for Plum's reform.

My advice to current employees is to educate yourself to your rights under the laws of Michigan and the United States of America.

My advice to former employees who believe they have had their rights violated under the law is to talk to a lawyer. They may take your case for free.

Bakery Team Leader

I worked at Plum Market

Pros

Several great co-workers, good discount on groceries

Cons

While I was an employee, I saw numerous managers come and go in all departments. I became a manager because mine was fired. One week later, the director was fired. The person that took their place was no more qualified than any other person that ever gets hired there. I was constantly put in position with no direction, no guidance and most times, not even in contact with the director.

I was given several performance reviews, and at each was commended for doing a great job. I was told that I was one of their strongest employees on more than one occasion and one of my many bosses called me a "great asset to the company." One week later I was fired.

Every decision about firing was based on gossip from other co-workers. All the hiring was done from craigslist. Management has no discretion about whom they hire, for any department. I trained at least 6 people in my department in as many months. All of them either quit or were fired.

Don't ever leave Plum Market because the things that you do there would never be tolerated anywhere else.

There are newer employer reviews for Plum Market