There are newer employer reviews for Pocket Gems

Great people - fun, smart and passionate

Current Employee - Growth in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Growth in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your voice is heard Your work can impact millions Lots of opportunity Fast iterative cycle Collaborative Flexible Entrepreneurial

Cons

Growing pains as we head towards 200 employees, but also some great team building activities to help with that challenge.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A rare company. Basically a dream job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time

Pros

The perks are great. Fully stocked kitchen. Daily catered lunch and dinner. Unlimited vacation. The medical benefits are standard or above standard for a company of this size. You can tell that Pocket Gems really cares about their employees. It feels great coming in to work. Sounds great, right? However, the best part is the people and the work environment. You have a massive ability to make large changes in the company. There are so many opportunities to make a noticeable impact. Changes are recognized and appreciated by everyone. Pocket Gems has the most rewarding environment I have ever experienced. There is no excessive bureaucracy to slow you down. Everyone will step in to help. The phrase "that's not my job" is rarely, if ever, used. Many game companies have turned into very draining environments. At Pocket Gems, I actually feel energized by the environment. The tools and technology are great. You aren't forced to work with antiquated tech that would fit the norms of typical corporate environments. Even for a game company, the tech feels very new. I feel so much more enabled than I have at any other company. Pocket Gems is a leader in mobile gaming. They use the same mentality when choosing their technology, processes, and other aspects of the company. The result is a fresh take on all aspects of how a company can operate.

Cons

We have grown fast and we can sometimes run pretty lean. This is the tradeoff for ensuring we have the best people in the industry. The hours can be a bit intense. Depending on the role, it may not be a good fit for those with families.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Exceptional group of extremely focused individuals achieving great success and growth together

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Pocket Gems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great team. The company is essentially building the best team in mobile and solving some of the toughest challenges, pushing what's technically possible on mobile devices through it's games * Focus on innovation. It already has a dominant position in the casual gaming market with a lot of blockbuster genre defining hits, and with its strong focus on innovation it's poised well to build on this lead where most of the competitors in the space are busy copying and making cheap reskins * Opportunity to grow/learn. As is natural with a company that's growing so quickly ( in terms of revenue, business, # of products, employees etc. ) there are ample opportunities for individual growth and learning as well

Cons

* Less focus on pure research. As can be expected at a company of it's size, there are enough high priority challenges to be solved in the short term that you get few opportunities to work on less defined open ended problems.