Polo Ralph Lauren

There are newer employer reviews for Polo Ralph Lauren

Once in a Life-time Job

Former Employee - Assistant to Ralph Lauren in New York, NY
Former Employee - Assistant to Ralph Lauren in New York, NY

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Marvelous Boss! Working for Ralph was one of the highlights of my unique career. I learned so much from him. I gained a lot of knowledge in how you successfully run a company and how you treat your employees. Well-Diversified, Fantastic perks, Unique individuals, Beautiful space!

Cons

No mentor, few job opportunities, no open door policy.
The salary wasn't realistic for New York. Being the Assistant to Ralph Lauren, it was difficult to stay with-in the company and gain respect for my "own" accomplishments. I found that people were not so receptive but Ralph was amazing and stayed in contact, even after I left the New York office.

Implement a Mentoring Program and offer better salaries.

498 Other Employee Reviews for Polo Ralph Lauren (View Most Recent)

Not the worst place I've worked at as a Tech Designer

Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than a year)

Pros

PRL is a large and very stable international company. The Golden Goose, everything they make sells great and of good quality, the product is beautiful. Good benefits, environment is PC, great discounts, if you're lucky you can learn a lot, I did. I was fortunate to be with a great manager and close team. I learned a lot, yet not everyone has same experience. People think I'm awesome because I work there, it's a great name. Dept is fairly organized. Name looks great on resume. 2 weeks vac plus 4 free summer Fridays.
    If you are willing to play the game, you might get promoted in a few year's time. Otherwise, prepare to be miserable fast.
    If you get to meet Mr Lauren, you'll feel better about the Co, he is lovely yet his $6 billion worth is not going to be shared with you or me (sad). Pink Pony and all these fun events help morale a bit, (volunteering, etc.)

Cons

Since it is a very large company, you can get lost in the shuffle if your manager isn't good. Many teams are short staffed, it takes a long time to hire new staff. High rates of quitting, existing staff is obliged to work extra to make crazy deadlines with huge workloads. Colleagues have begged for help and are simply given a shrug and told to try harder (sad). Managers are out on time to catch their trains to their McMansion homes in LI or CT or NJ, meanwhile all the minions work late and from home (another sad reality).
    Meetings are long and require multiple changes to styles. Cliquish, everyone dresses the same. You need to become the pet of a higher up to move up in the company.Merit alone is not sufficient.

Pay isn't great, titles are arbitrary, much focus given to Associate, Tech, Manager, etc. Reviews are ridiculous. No overtime paid for salaried workers. Many staff members complain about working late hours yet they mismanage their time, it gets annoying for efficient workers, almost looked down upon for leaving on time 9-6 and getting work done well. I work late hours when necessary but not a habit, I have a life. No bonus except for higher ups, these higher ups already make good money plus they have stocks and receive bonus if staff is kept to a minimum, and they work short hours (lucky them I'm not hating). Many complainers, if they worked there for a while, meanwhile I think it's not the worst place ever. Vacations are granted to favorites when they want it, others are denied their requests. No Holiday party at all except a luncheon where gag gifts are raffled (yawn...).though it varies by division.

It's obvious the underlings are not appreciated since you work them til exhaustion. If you don't care professionally, please try to care for moral reasons. Many people work extra hard and get not even a smile. It's sad. Take a few Management classes.

Lots of problems

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Howell, MI

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Some nice people
    -Good product
    -Nice store

Cons

-The management was constantly pushing sales. They wanted more and more and more out of the employees so that they could meet their personal goals. It was frustrating, being constantly yelled at because, "We need to sell MORE MORE MORE!"

-So much pressure is put on the team members
    -Pay is low for what you are expected to do
    -The clothing you are expected to wear is not realistic for what they are asking you to do
    -I was lied to about the length of my employment
    -A lot of the customers were very rude. I was called horrible names, had items thrown at me, and had customers abuse me
    -Management seemed constantly stressed and frustrated

They need to focus on praising the employees. At the end of the day, we were expected to ask for feedback, and the management would take the opportunity to discourage employees. How does that make them want to sell? Focus on having an upbeat atmosphere.

There are newer employer reviews for Polo Ralph Lauren