There are newer employer reviews for Polo Ralph Lauren

High expectations. Great GM.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a good, stable company in a growth cycle. The GM responds quickly to the needs of the store as a whole and shares successes with staff. He cares about the sales staff and addresses concerns quickly. There is a lot of traffic through the store which means it generally makes it's goals. The scheduling system is great. An 8 hour shift automatically includes two 15's and an hour and management is held accountable for getting everyone their breaks. Recovery after closing is well planned as are floor sets. Associates are never expected to stay beyond time scheduled. Sometimes the option is offered though. The GM treats everyone as a highly valued member of the team.

Cons

This is a very physical job. Associates are expected to dress well and be prepared to mix great customer service with some manual labor. Expect to spend 5-10 hours on your feet and moving. Wear good shoes and comfortable RL brand clothing. Retail can be very cliquish, which can make some days unpleasant. But most of the associates are caring, honest people. Moving up includes being willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

Break up the cliques. Post internal policy changes on the bulletin board so you don't have to remember to tell everyone. Post more realistic examples of dress code options. Make sure all the managers value associates the way the GM does. Get Big & Tall back in the store. We get asked for it almost daily. Bring in shoes and handbags. We get asked for those almost daily as well. Petite women's would be amazing too.

Other Employee Reviews for Polo Ralph Lauren

1. Once in a Life-time Job

Former Employee - Assistant to Ralph Lauren in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant to Ralph Lauren in New York, NY

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Marvelous Boss! Working for Ralph was one of the highlights of my unique career. I learned so much from him. I gained a lot of knowledge in how you successfully run a company and how you treat your employees. Well-Diversified, Fantastic perks, Unique individuals, Beautiful space!

Cons

No mentor, few job opportunities, no open door policy. The salary wasn't realistic for New York. Being the Assistant to Ralph Lauren, it was difficult to stay with-in the company and gain respect for my "own" accomplishments. I found that people were not so receptive but Ralph was amazing and stayed in contact, even after I left the New York office.

Advice to Management

Implement a Mentoring Program and offer better salaries.

Not the worst place I've worked at as a Tech Designer

Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PRL is a large and very stable international company. The Golden Goose, everything they make sells great and of good quality, the product is beautiful. Good benefits, environment is PC, great discounts, if you're lucky you can learn a lot, I did. I was fortunate to be with a great manager and close team. I learned a lot, yet not everyone has same experience. People think I'm awesome because I work there, it's a great name. Dept is fairly organized. Name looks great on resume. 2 weeks vac plus 4 free summer Fridays. If you are willing to play the game, you might get promoted in a few year's time. Otherwise, prepare to be miserable fast. If you get to meet Mr Lauren, you'll feel better about the Co, he is lovely yet his $6 billion worth is not going to be shared with you or me (sad). Pink Pony and all these fun events help morale a bit, (volunteering, etc.)

Cons

Since it is a very large company, you can get lost in the shuffle if your manager isn't good. Many teams are short staffed, it takes a long time to hire new staff. High rates of quitting, existing staff is obliged to work extra to make crazy deadlines with huge workloads. Colleagues have begged for help and are simply given a shrug and told to try harder (sad). Managers are out on time to catch their trains to their McMansion homes in LI or CT or NJ, meanwhile all the minions work late and from home (another sad reality). Meetings are long and require multiple changes to styles. Cliquish, everyone dresses the same. You need to become the pet of a higher up to move up in the company.Merit alone is not sufficient. Pay isn't great, titles are arbitrary, much focus given to Associate, Tech, Manager, etc. Reviews are ridiculous. No overtime paid for salaried workers. Many staff members complain about working late hours yet they mismanage their time, it gets annoying for efficient workers, almost looked down upon for leaving on time 9-6 and getting work done well. I work late hours when necessary but not a habit, I have a life. No bonus except for higher ups, these higher ups already make good money plus they have stocks and receive bonus if staff is kept to a minimum, and they work short hours (lucky them I'm not hating). Many complainers, if they worked there for a while, meanwhile I think it's not the worst place ever. Vacations are granted to favorites when they want it, others are denied their requests. No Holiday party at all except a luncheon where gag gifts are raffled (yawn...).though it varies by division.

Advice to Management

It's obvious the underlings are not appreciated since you work them til exhaustion. If you don't care professionally, please try to care for moral reasons. Many people work extra hard and get not even a smile. It's sad. Take a few Management classes.