Polo Ralph Lauren
www.ralphlauren.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Not the worst place I've worked at as a Tech Designer

Associate Technical Designer (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than a year

ProsPRL is a large and very stable international company. The Golden Goose, everything they make sells great and of good quality, the product is beautiful. Good benefits, environment is PC, great discounts, if you're lucky you can learn a lot, I did. I was fortunate to be with a great manager and close team. I learned a lot, yet not everyone has same experience. People think I'm awesome because I work there, it's a great name. Dept is fairly organized. Name looks great on resume. 2 weeks vac plus 4 free summer Fridays.
If you are willing to play the game, you might get promoted in a few year's time. Otherwise, prepare to be miserable fast.
If you get to meet Mr Lauren, you'll feel better about the Co, he is lovely yet his $6 billion worth is not going to be shared with you or me (sad). Pink Pony and all these fun events help morale a bit, (volunteering, etc.)

ConsSince it is a very large company, you can get lost in the shuffle if your manager isn't good. Many teams are short staffed, it takes a long time to hire new staff. High rates of quitting, existing staff is obliged to work extra to make crazy deadlines with huge workloads. Colleagues have begged for help and are simply given a shrug and told to try harder (sad). Managers are out on time to catch their trains to their McMansion homes in LI or CT or NJ, meanwhile all the minions work late and from home (another sad reality).
Meetings are long and require multiple changes to styles. Cliquish, everyone dresses the same. You need to become the pet of a higher up to move up in the company.Merit alone is not sufficient.

Pay isn't great, titles are arbitrary, much focus given to Associate, Tech, Manager, etc. Reviews are ridiculous. No overtime paid for salaried workers. Many staff members complain about working late hours yet they mismanage their time, it gets annoying for efficient workers, almost looked down upon for leaving on time 9-6 and getting work done well. I work late hours when necessary but not a habit, I have a life. No bonus except for higher ups, these higher ups already make good money plus they have stocks and receive bonus if staff is kept to a minimum, and they work short hours (lucky them I'm not hating). Many complainers, if they worked there for a while, meanwhile I think it's not the worst place ever. Vacations are granted to favorites when they want it, others are denied their requests. No Holiday party at all except a luncheon where gag gifts are raffled (yawn...).though it varies by division.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's obvious the underlings are not appreciated since you work them til exhaustion. If you don't care professionally, please try to care for moral reasons. Many people work extra hard and get not even a smile. It's sad. Take a few Management classes.

Great Company that is still growing in other parts of the work. Good oppurtunities

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Can move internally and laterally to other departments. Interesting work… Cons: Career Growth is tough although you can always do challenging… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on people management not just project management Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

High expectations. Great GM.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Round Rock, TX

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for less than a year

Pros: This is a good, stable company in a growth cycle. The GM responds quickly to the needs of the store as a whole and shares… Cons: This is a very physical job. Associates are expected to dress well and be prepared to mix great customer service with some manual labor. Expect… Advice to Senior Management: Break up the cliques. Post internal policy changes on the bulletin board so you don't have to remember to tell everyone. Post more realistic examples… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Polo Ralph Lauren.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Polo Ralph Lauren reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Polo Ralph Lauren CEO Ralph Lauren. All reviews posted anonymously by Polo Ralph Lauren employees.