Not the worst place I've worked at as a Tech Designer

Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY
Current Employee - Associate Technical Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PRL is a large and very stable international company. The Golden Goose, everything they make sells great and of good quality, the product is beautiful. Good benefits, environment is PC, great discounts, if you're lucky you can learn a lot, I did. I was fortunate to be with a great manager and close team. I learned a lot, yet not everyone has same experience. People think I'm awesome because I work there, it's a great name. Dept is fairly organized. Name looks great on resume. 2 weeks vac plus 4 free summer Fridays.
If you are willing to play the game, you might get promoted in a few year's time. Otherwise, prepare to be miserable fast.
If you get to meet Mr Lauren, you'll feel better about the Co, he is lovely yet his $6 billion worth is not going to be shared with you or me (sad). Pink Pony and all these fun events help morale a bit, (volunteering, etc.)

Cons

Since it is a very large company, you can get lost in the shuffle if your manager isn't good. Many teams are short staffed, it takes a long time to hire new staff. High rates of quitting, existing staff is obliged to work extra to make crazy deadlines with huge workloads. Colleagues have begged for help and are simply given a shrug and told to try harder (sad). Managers are out on time to catch their trains to their McMansion homes in LI or CT or NJ, meanwhile all the minions work late and from home (another sad reality).
Meetings are long and require multiple changes to styles. Cliquish, everyone dresses the same. You need to become the pet of a higher up to move up in the company.Merit alone is not sufficient.

Pay isn't great, titles are arbitrary, much focus given to Associate, Tech, Manager, etc. Reviews are ridiculous. No overtime paid for salaried workers. Many staff members complain about working late hours yet they mismanage their time, it gets annoying for efficient workers, almost looked down upon for leaving on time 9-6 and getting work done well. I work late hours when necessary but not a habit, I have a life. No bonus except for higher ups, these higher ups already make good money plus they have stocks and receive bonus if staff is kept to a minimum, and they work short hours (lucky them I'm not hating). Many complainers, if they worked there for a while, meanwhile I think it's not the worst place ever. Vacations are granted to favorites when they want it, others are denied their requests. No Holiday party at all except a luncheon where gag gifts are raffled (yawn...).though it varies by division.

Advice to Management

It's obvious the underlings are not appreciated since you work them til exhaustion. If you don't care professionally, please try to care for moral reasons. Many people work extra hard and get not even a smile. It's sad. Take a few Management classes.

reviews filtered by
  1. Lots of problems

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Howell, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Howell, MI

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some nice people
    -Good product
    -Nice store

Cons

-The management was constantly pushing sales. They wanted more and more and more out of the employees so that they could meet their personal goals. It was frustrating, being constantly yelled at because, "We need to sell MORE MORE MORE!"

-So much pressure is put on the team members
    -Pay is low for what you are expected to do
    -The clothing you are expected to wear is not realistic for what they are asking you to do
    -I was lied to about the length of my employment
    -A lot of the customers were very rude. I was called horrible names, had items thrown at me, and had customers abuse me
    -Management seemed constantly stressed and frustrated

Advice to Management

They need to focus on praising the employees. At the end of the day, we were expected to ask for feedback, and the management would take the opportunity to discourage employees. How does that make them want to sell? Focus on having an upbeat atmosphere.

2. Great Company that is still growing in other parts of the work. Good oppurtunities

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Lyndhurst, NJ

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can move internally and laterally to other departments. Interesting work and projects

Cons

Career Growth is tough although you can always do challenging projects

Advice to Management

Focus on people management not just project management