Low Tech

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Nice people, good ethics, great compensation

Cons

Old technology, buy-not-invent, poorly planned projects (marketing)

Be more aggressive with technology.

Other Reviews for Polycom

Once good and heading rapidly downhill

Current Employee - Applications  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Applications in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At one point when I first started 3 years ago, it was a pretty fun place to work. It was more relaxed, even the executives were a little quirky as you would expect from a tech company. The technology direction was exciting (an office-less company)...generally people were pretty happy, except for a few pockets in some functions, notably Finance.

Cons

Now 3 years later, it's a completely different company and none of it good. The executive team is largely inexperienced and has been unfortunately sadly disappointing in its results despite doubling in size. A good junk (apprx a week) of your PTO will be MANDATED--in other words, it will be taken from your PTO bank...making it impossible to plan any real trips. There is a culture of fear and a constant "witch hunt" attitude from the leaders. VPs are hired left and right and people are often promoted after 6 months because their manager worked with them at a previous job. But MANY people are fired or quit within their first year. It's impossible to describe the culture because there really isn't one. Work-life balance is non-existent and frankly, looked down upon. The executives have amnesia about their home terrible decisions and are quick to blame low levels employees when something they decide (with nobody's input but their own) fails miserably. The organization feels completely disorganized with no clear direction, a strategy nobody can articulate. We recently won a first-place market share--which the company acts like it means we are now on our road to massive sales. But the numbers don't prove it, all the numbers show is a company on the edge between oblivion and irrelevance. Sales leader is completely self-protective and quick to blame Marketing, Engineering, anyone but themselves for poor performance. The organization communicates multiple contradictory messages in the same quarter bordering on outright lying to employees. What's more surprising, they pretend as if employees don't notice.

We notice, and joke around, about the completely contradictory messages and decisions (PTO burn so we don't have to do layoffs....then we do massive layoffs 2 months later, just ONE example). Stop conducting massive layoffs when people are running for the door. Stop throwing equity at the executives and VPs that people are clearly running from. Stop beating up the lowest level employees. Stop blaming everyone but Sales for Sales terrible performance. Stop promoting people who have only worked there for 6 months. Stop worrying about how everyone dresses (this is not an investment bank). Stop with the hair-on-fire approach about everything. If you think employees aren't unhappy--think again.

Great place to work in

Current Employee - Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits, people, opertunities, interest, atmosphere

Cons

Job is very demanding, yet satisfying

There are newer employer reviews for Polycom.

Worked for Polycom? Contribute to the Community!