There are newer employer reviews for Polycom

Good Stable company but...

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Low turnover since last 6 years. Good salary and friendly environment

Cons

Very bad IT management. All indians and get kickbacks from various channels. Theese guys keep consultants around even when there is no work.

Please get rid of the CIO. He is really no good

210 Other Employee Reviews for Polycom (View Most Recent)

Gaining market share in a tough market

Current Employee - Sales Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although the numbers look bad at first glance, Polycom is gaining video market share is a competitive market and a troubled economy. The company is hungry for talent and rewards performance. I feel the company goes out of its way to treat employees fairly. Polycom is trying to get ahead of the technology curve and seems to be allocating resources accordingly.

Cons

The company sometimes misses opportunities to address product marketing and product development issues proactively, leading to fire drills that may not produce the best possible results. In response to earlier customer miscommunications, there is now a widespread tendency to under-communicate technical information that members of the team need to perform optimally; the pendulum has swung too far in the direction of compartmentalization.

Overall good marks. I'd like to see Andy and his senior staff actively encouraging more proactivity (but being careful not to smother creativity with paperwork) and more cross-functional input so our products and services go to market with fewer gaps in features, pricing policies, channel policies, documentation, and support. Not all managers are managing well. Clear out some deadwood in the management ranks. Identify promising employees and groom them for advancement.

Dramatic declines across the board

Current Employee - Operations  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers have a "we're all into this together" attitude; very little backstabbing or distrust--genuninely like my coworkers and most people do; good base pay; great employee stock purchase program; great new building and amenities.

Cons

In order of how bad they are: the executive team; brutal hours and expectations; terrible bonuses or non-existent; mandated PTO to save costs; stock is worthless; no career development or growth; hire VPs from huge companies who don't want to do any work themselves; very much a culture of fear; constant layoffs; completely inconsistent messaging...I could keep going

Clean house with the executives--they have no accountability for their own decisions. Employees are blamed for their decisions once they realize they do not work and have made bad decisions. The executives recently rewarded themselves with huge equity bonuses (available publicly on the website) for terrible quarters of performance. Meanwhile, hundreds of employees were laid off. This is a frightening environment and many people comment about how they get that nervous sick feeling in their stomch when they see the building in the distance while they are making the (averge of 1 hour) commute to the office in the morning. Who wants to keep working like that? Nobody wants to work these hours for almost no bonus, worthless equity, days of PTO that is taken away from you and no career development. The executives are elitist and make terrible decisions, yet it's Analysts and Managers who get fired when the numbers are bad. We have become a Sales comany that happens to have engineers around. I've never worked at a company where so many people disliked the environment or had such lack of faith in the executive team. Many people in our HQ at San Jose are looking for jobs. Figure out your messaging, it changes daily and nobody knows what our strategy is as a company. R&D needs to compe out with products that aren't such giant heavy things...nobody is buying them.

There are newer employer reviews for Polycom

Worked for Polycom? Contribute to the Community!