This company is a train wreck

Current Employee - Director of Engineering  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Polycom full-time

Pros

Has a great name in the market although I don't know why. Still good people here but they are leaving like rats on a sinking ship

Cons

I’m going to echo a lot of the reviews that have been done but I think it’s important to fire for effect here and make sure the points get across.

Management at this company manages by fear:

I have seen a lot of my co-workers called in and let go without any warning because their manager stopped liking them or needed a scapegoat. The company is in a constant state of layoffs or “limited restructures”. The culture of Fear is the rule here and used to keep all those to still working here in line. HR here is a puppet of upper management.

The CEO moved the company down from the east bay to off 237 and then has an office built in San Francisco so he doesn’t have to commute; all because it was mentioned in an article that Polycom wasn’t a Silicon Valley company because of it’s (East Bay) location.

No vision or direction:

Anything beyond three months is long term planning and non-existent. Their once technology edge is now gone and other companies are taking it’s place. CEO is a salesman and the culture is totally sales driven. Engineering is dealing with competing priorities and is stressed by not enough good people, no clear direction and unrealistic deadlines. A lot of the work is being sent outside the US. The culture doesn’t foster innovation especially when fear is concerned. Most of my management is busy playing CYA and politics, something demanded by engineering management.

No life outside the company:

First you only get two weeks of PTO a year and most of that is allocated/directed by management to be taken to reduce the liability and make their bottom line look better. Many of my co-workers are in the hole for PTO without the ability to make it up for time with their family. During these mandated vacations you are still expected to work. More than once I have been in the office and in meetings during my PTO. Speaking of Family, any outside life is frowned upon. You are expected to be “on” and available all the time; weekends, holidays, nights, this is all company time. One of the old “perks” was being able to work from home from time to time since video was so pervasive there; this is no longer the case. Not only are you expected to “on” but you are also expected to be at the office at all times.

After all this most of my co-workers and I are looking for positions outside the company.

Replace the CEO and most of the management. Treat the employees with respect and get rid of the culture of fear.

Other Reviews for Polycom

Interesting technologies, ok pay and benefits, but chaotic like a start-up

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting technologies to work with, possibilities for career growth and movement within the company, a growing company, Very lenient policies regarding flextime and working from home.

Cons

Never-ending emergencies (quick fixes to bugs reported by customers), badly defined processes and corner-cutting, which leads to ad-hoc approaches to nearly everything. Since I have been there, twice a year we have been forced to take vacation time before a deadline or on specific days (determined by upper management) in order to make number better looking to Wall Street analysts.

Great people, clueless management, troubled company

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Polycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Strong technology--Polycom's products are the best in the conferencing industry
    Smart, experienced people that are generally fun to work with
    "Drinks after work" culture--not excessive, but fun on Fridays
    Still a small-company feel to the campus

Cons

Polycom is slowly sinking financially. The stock is 1/3 of what it was 18 months ago.
    US jobs are moving to the China & India offices
    Mid-level management seems to understand that changes need to be made, but upper-level keeps pushing for more, faster, cheaper & quality be damned

The Westminster campus represents hundreds of man-years of experience that Polycom really needs to innovate its way out of the hole it's in. You can't cost-cut your way to success here guys! Cisco will eat your lunch.

There are newer employer reviews for Polycom.

Worked for Polycom? Contribute to the Community!