PopCap Games
www.popcap.com Seattle, WA 150 to 499 Employees

Cute art on the walls, low pay, lots of work, incompetent managers.

Seattle, WA

I have been working at PopCap Games

ProsThe Workforce and Culture department does a good job at making employees to feel good about being at PopCap with free Naked juice, some free food, activities, games rooms, gym, etc.

ConsLots of nepotism, incompetent managers, and low pay for working employees. Credit for work done is often given to the wrong people based on their connections to upper management, not based on who got things done. So-called "profit sharing" is really "arbitrary forecast beating." The more profitable the company gets, the smaller the profit sharing has been for employees. The company is at a stage where lots of middle managers with no relevant skills are being hired. It is becoming very top heavy. There is little incentive to work at PopCap after it was sold to Electronic Arts, as the pay is as low as before, the "profit sharing" is very low to non-existent, there are no more stock options, and there is a mad dash to earn the founders their over-ambitious EA earnout targets, which means burn-out work loads over the next three years.

Advice to Senior ManagementGiven the low pay and other stunts you pull on your employees, you may want to show them that you value their commitment to the company by providing a fair working environment where credit is given where it is due, and where incompetent manager parasites are let go, no matter whose friends they are. The kool-aid is wearing thin.

Was Once Great

Senior Producer (Former Employee)
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at PopCap Games full-time for more than a year

Pros: super smart, super civilised people. Lots of money and time. Great atmosphere and very generous fringe benefits and… Cons: Alas EA bought them, which led to a short term focus… Advice to Senior Management: never, ever, sell a controlling stake in your company if you wish to retain what you once… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good company culture, good leader & boss.

Lead PHP Engineer (Former Employee)
Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at PopCap Games full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Culture, happy, satisfied. The office is always filled with happiness. Cons: Acquired, and changed, it's no longer a happy company to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on PopCap Games.

Worked for PopCap Games? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PopCap Games reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for PopCap Games CEO Dave Roberts. All reviews posted anonymously by PopCap Games employees.