There are newer employer reviews for Port of Oakland

In for a challenging road ahead.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Port of Oakland

Pros

Well compensated employees; differing abilities for promotion depending on division; wide range of policy and economic challenges to tackle across revenue lines, which creates business opportunities.

Cons

major financial issues have lead to massive personnel cutbacks; employees by and large very overworked; little recognition by senior management and directors on the day to day needs to keep the place running in a sustainable manner.

4 Other Employee Reviews for Port of Oakland (View Most Recent)

Once great but now falling

Former Employee - Civil Engineer  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA

I worked at Port of Oakland

Pros

Great benefits including medical, a pension (!!) . Salaries are excellent. This type of employer is becoming a relic unfortunately.

Cons

The recently appointed senior management is terrible. They are incompetent in doing their jobs and are only interested in selling the public's valuable real estate and laying off staff to meet their budget. Rather than have any in house staff the senior management seems intent on contracting out all of the work. This leaves little room for technical growth for existing staff. I highly recommend not pursuing employment at the Port of Oakland, despite the great pay and benefits, because it is likely that in ten years there will barely be any in house staff left.

Do not just continue to sell off assets to make money. Run the organization like you are actually trying to run an organization.

We all learn together

I have been working at Port of Oakland as an intern for less than a year

Pros

There is a lot of work for anyone who'd like to optimize procedures

Cons

Nobody have been trained to the "new software" installed in 2009... we all discover new / odd things everyday.

There are newer employer reviews for Port of Oakland

Worked for Port of Oakland? Contribute to the Community!