Port of San Diego

Very Disappointed

Current Employee - General Services/Procurement in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - General Services/Procurement in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Port of San Diego

Pros

Working at / on property by the water is enjoyable, Some of the people are very nice, They do pay for any school course that you might take, They give you good benefits not found else where, Enjoy the public contact.

Cons

The bad employee's out way the good, "taking advantage of what the have to offer", To afraid to deal with a bad employee one on one, Upper management does not seem to listen, To many chiefs, Never seen so much back stabbing as I have seen here, Always downsizing the low man but they seem to never get rid and/or adjust all the high paying jobs, Supervisor's telling good workers to stop working hard and slow down because they are making the bad/lazy employee's mad.

Please start to care about "all" aspects of every positions and not just the top paid! Open your ears and listen because a lot of people have great ideas! Give more to the low end of the business as that is one of your main foundations, don't forget that! Please deal with the bad employee's one on one and not the "BLANKET" effect! Stop treating good employee's bad! To much to list etc...

9 Other Employee Reviews for Port of San Diego (View Most Recent)

Pleasant Co-workers, Good Benefits

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant II in San Diego, CA

I worked at Port of San Diego

Pros

Convenient location-great commute
    Free parking or subsidized bus pass
    Free parking and shuttle for employees who use the airport (business or personal)
    Pleasant, polite employees
    Fairly Modern office equipment
    Education Subsidy
    On-site Education and personal growth opportunities

Cons

Clerical staff is regarded as inferior to "college-educated" staff and not fully immersed in the team. They are frequently left out of the loop or assigned multiple "rush" jobs by team members.

Senior Management has been working to correct this problem for 5 years and every year the employees are polled and the results are charted. The corporate culture is slowly improving. My dissatisfaction, I believe, was the result of not having worked for a government agency before. I prefer to soar with the eagles and in gov't work, they just won't let you do that. For profit companies don't care how low your pay or education level is, if you can do the job, they'll pile it on. But people who work at for profit companies have to meet their deadlines or they'll be dismissed. The people I worked for were generous with gifts and cards and certificates of appreciation. I would have preferred just feeling that they trusted me to make them look good.

Positive government work

I worked at Port of San Diego as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of different projects. People stay for a long time.

Cons

Felt the budget cuts. My position was cut due to it. As an intern spent a lot of time twiddling my thumbs. Didn't seem like there was much room for growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Port of San Diego