Portillo's Restaurant Group

www.portillos.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Portillo's Restaurant Group

Company great, my store...not so much

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Charles, IL
Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Portillo's corporation is a great place to work. However, I worked at a couple different locations as a drive through cashier and had very different experiences at each. The job offers a lot of variety and the people I worked with, no matter the location, were great. If you love interacting with people and have a positive attitude, Portillo's is a great employer.

Cons

The variety of management I experienced spanned the entire spectrum. I had great general managers, great crew chiefs, and horrible GMs with horrific crew chiefs. You really never knew what type of mood you were going into some days. Also, working outside in the summer I did not get hazard pay even when there was an excessive heat warning and the warning specifically stated to avoid being outside at peak heating hours of the day (aka lunch when the drive through is busiest). We did get hazard pay when it was below freezing but the heat in the summer combined with the heat from the cars was unbearable and a small part of why I quit.

Have tighter controls over the management at restaurants. I quit because my GM was a tyrant who let you know you were replaceable. However, at another location I had a wonderful GM who cared about each employee. Just be more careful about who you let into a senior management position.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Portillo's Restaurant Group (View Most Recent)

Not for the faint-hearted

Former Employee - Cashier in Orland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orland Park, IL

I worked at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lot of Hours, you become great at cash handling, and you will most likely become friends with co-workers

Cons

You will be awarded with working outside if you are good at cashiering which is good because the managers cant effectively breathe down your neck. They are upset easily and can be ruder than the customers. It is very fast paced and you will either work 6 days or 5 days with a 12 hour shift.

FIRE your old managers who are disrespectful. It makes a bad environment

The coworkers are the best part of working Portillos

Current Employee - Cashier, Order Taker in Glendale Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Cashier, Order Taker in Glendale Heights, IL

I have been working at Portillo's Restaurant Group part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours. Really fun to work with great people. Job security.I worked here for over 5 years. If you leave on good terms they will probably hire you again.

Cons

The pay is horrible. Managers are a joke. The customers can be very mean. Harsh winters and summers. If you work hard it gets unnoticed. Like a sweat shop.

Treat the employees with some respect!

There are newer employer reviews for Portillo's Restaurant Group