There are newer employer reviews for Portland State University

Depends on which department you work for

Former Employee - Computer Lab Coordinator in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Computer Lab Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a large university, so depending on which department you work for you may get taken advantage of or may have an amazing experience. As is typical with most universities, student labor is the glue that holds the place together, my department in particular was very respectful of this fact and recognized it's student employees frequently. I felt valued, and that I made a lasting impact before leaving.

Cons

As a student laborer you make a meager wage, no benefits, have limited hours and are often indirectly asked to go above and beyond what your assigned duties are. Staff positions are always dangled in front of you as you move up, but often are crushed due to financial constraints. There is not much opportunity to move in the student labor force, which leads to a lack of motivation to continually do your best. There was no such thing as work life/balance in my position. I was often told I was not on call, but employees were told to call me, and part of the job description was to be available after hours. Frequent budget constraints led to conflicting (non-existent) policies about clocking hours outside of the office.

Overall a good job. More communication is necessary, including performance evaluations and raises for employees. I was never give a review of my performance in any position, and only got told I was doing well when I asked.

90 Other Employee Reviews for Portland State University (View Most Recent)

Great People

Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technology Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers were great to work with

Cons

The pay was not satisfying

Consider your student workers when making decisions

I worked as a graduate teaching assistant.

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The tuition remission was really helpful. Also, the work that I did with several professors really helped build my resume.

Cons

The stipend that came with the position was not enough to live on and required a second job and loans to get by.

I didn't have a lot of interactions with upper management since I worked mostly with my direct professor supervisor.

There are newer employer reviews for Portland State University