Portland State University

www.pdx.edu

Depends on which department you work for

Computer Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsIt is a large university, so depending on which department you work for you may get taken advantage of or may have an amazing experience. As is typical with most universities, student labor is the glue that holds the place together, my department in particular was very respectful of this fact and recognized it's student employees frequently. I felt valued, and that I made a lasting impact before leaving.

ConsAs a student laborer you make a meager wage, no benefits, have limited hours and are often indirectly asked to go above and beyond what your assigned duties are. Staff positions are always dangled in front of you as you move up, but often are crushed due to financial constraints. There is not much opportunity to move in the student labor force, which leads to a lack of motivation to continually do your best. There was no such thing as work life/balance in my position. I was often told I was not on call, but employees were told to call me, and part of the job description was to be available after hours. Frequent budget constraints led to conflicting (non-existent) policies about clocking hours outside of the office.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall a good job. More communication is necessary, including performance evaluations and raises for employees. I was never give a review of my performance in any position, and only got told I was doing well when I asked.

Great People

Technology Specialist (Current Employee) Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The co-workers were great to work with Cons: The pay was not satisfying Advice to Senior Management: Consider your student workers when making decisions Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

I worked as a graduate teaching assistant.

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: The tuition remission was really helpful. Also, the work that… Cons: The stipend that came with the position was not enough to… Advice to Senior Management: I didn't have a lot of interactions with upper management… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Portland State University.

Worked for Portland State University? Contribute to the Community!