There are newer employer reviews for Portland State University

Depends on which department you work for

Former Employee - Computer Lab Coordinator in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Computer Lab Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a large university, so depending on which department you work for you may get taken advantage of or may have an amazing experience. As is typical with most universities, student labor is the glue that holds the place together, my department in particular was very respectful of this fact and recognized it's student employees frequently. I felt valued, and that I made a lasting impact before leaving.

Cons

As a student laborer you make a meager wage, no benefits, have limited hours and are often indirectly asked to go above and beyond what your assigned duties are. Staff positions are always dangled in front of you as you move up, but often are crushed due to financial constraints. There is not much opportunity to move in the student labor force, which leads to a lack of motivation to continually do your best. There was no such thing as work life/balance in my position. I was often told I was not on call, but employees were told to call me, and part of the job description was to be available after hours. Frequent budget constraints led to conflicting (non-existent) policies about clocking hours outside of the office.

Overall a good job. More communication is necessary, including performance evaluations and raises for employees. I was never give a review of my performance in any position, and only got told I was doing well when I asked.

reviews filtered by
  1. Flexible Student Job

Former Employee - Student Worker in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Student Worker in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offered flexibility while going to school (schedule, studying at work). Convenient location if you live on/near campus; easy public transportation ride if you live in the city. Great co-workers. Mostly relaxed environment and culture.

Cons

Bureaucracy (I really hated sucking up to all the people who felt they were more important than me)! Low student pay and minimal raises. Difficult parking.

Continue to make student jobs flexible. Don't get caught up in the bureaucracy.

2. A management nightmare that doesn't support creativity & growth

Former Employee - Administration in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Administration in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The faculty and peers I worked with were great, but many were quite frustrated

Cons

Very poor management, toxic environment, squelches creativity, new ideas and innovation.

Learn how to manage effectively instead of quashing employee enthusiasm and their commitment to knowledge and excellence. You have a very unsupportive environment, run by managers with little or no experience or ability who want employees to be like little "soldiers" instead of valuing creativity and new ideas. I felt betrayed by what I was led to believe when I was hired that was so far from the reality of working there.

There are newer employer reviews for Portland State University