Portland State University

Slow paced

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University full-time

Pros

There are a number of highly motivated students at the school and working with them can be incredibly satisfying. Coworkers were incredibly friendly and welcoming. The work-life balance was great. I worked a 40 hour week. Period. I was never stressed and didn't work weekends or nights.

Cons

The work itself was interesting, but honestly not enough. The pace of PSU was incredibly slow; I would be assigned work to last the week that I would wrap up in under a day or months-long projects that I could tackle in a week. This is not to toot my own horn, it was just that the staff had no sense of urgency and there was a general lack of drive.

Audit departments to find out what work is actually being accomplished; challenge staff to push themselves, think outside the box, and accomplish more each year/quarter, etc.

103 Other Employee Reviews for Portland State University (View Most Recent)

PSU SUCKS

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Portland State University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was easy to transition here from being a student. I have spent nearly ten years at PSU in a student and staff environment. The tuition discount is 70%, and it is a very good discount, but hard to make use of.

Cons

The pay sucks. The days off suck. There are no flexible part-time graduate degrees. The parking situation also sucks. I work OT every day and every week but I am not allowed to cash it in. I also cannot take days off even though in a year I have accrued over a month off in OT. There are no promotions.

Pay us more. We are worth it.

Awesome opportunities if you ignore upper management.

Former Intern - UNIX Administrator in Portland, OR
    Former Intern - UNIX Administrator in Portland, OR

I worked at Portland State University as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate people in some offices, really care about students and their work.

Environment of university learning gave me one-of-a-kind skills.

Cons

Catty office politics really detracted from some departments.

Upper management needs an overhaul from the OUS system down, as their focused way too much on giving themselves money.
    (This is evident if you care to read their publicly viewable salary reports from the PSU library website.)

Hey Finance and Administration Office, you remember the time you cut budgets by 10-15% across every department in the college, forcing departments to lay off or early retire people and cut classes? You also remember right after that gave everyone in the administration an across the board raise for doing such a good job cutting the budget?

Yeah.