Beware Getting Hired For The Holidays

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Middleton, WI
Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Middleton, WI

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent, overall job not too terrible. PI provides a pretty good deal on pictures to customers, which helped the sales process. I adored my coworkers and they generally where a creative bunch.

Cons

Well, for starters, PI places a huge pressure on employees to upsell customers. Often, all you get is a mother who wants to get the advertised special of their kids. You have to take X number of poses on Y number of backgrounds, regardless of how late you are running or what the customer wants. Management reviews all pictures, so if you're not taking enough they'll know. After that, it's off to play the selling game, which mean trying to walk the customer through the complicated pricing schemes (that change all the time) and ambush them at the end, all while holding adorable pictures of baby Susan hostage. If you get squeamish and chicken out, it's your head next time they review numbers. I was hired over the holiday rush, but I was told it was real, full time position. So, after weeks of dealing with screaming kids, hour-long delays, and irate customers, I was looking forward to enjoying this mysterious "down-time" my coworkers talked about. Yet, at the end of the day, I was told that I was let go and not to bother coming back. My average wasn't stellar enough to keep me (or any of the other new hires) around much. Be warned of the holiday rush, you're likely to be far more seasonal then you expect!

Advice to Management

Overbooking causes more problems over the holidays then its worth.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

For the first couple of years the company was pretty good, but recently it has gone way down hill.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MOD) in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MOD) in Arlington, TX

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For what you are doing the pay is pretty decent in my opinion. When you dont have rude parents and a screaming kid it really can be a fun experience taking their pictures and giving your customer something they will love and hold on to forever.

Cons

you hardly ever have weekends off. the schedule is constantly changing and never set. you see the same staff every day all day so there is never any change.(usually twelve photographers in one studio) on the weekends you only get a thirty minute lunch even though you work over a ten hour day. everyone including management talks behind one another backs and never tell associates what is going on till it happens. there have many of times ive worked off the clock. (with the amount i worked off the clock the company owes me prob a good thousand dollars in theses past few years total). you have a high pressure sales average that you have to maintain weekly with a package (9.95 & 14.95) that brings in lower class customers who only think to spend the amount that is advertised (so tell me how do they expect you to run over a hundred dollar average when they dont advertise anything but cheapness!?) Christmas you work 12 to 15 hour days. anywhere from 70 to 90 hours a week. You never get to see your family during holiday seasons. you're constantly sick from parents bringing in sick kids. you have no health befits from the company. when you call in sick they make you feel like your job is on the line. there is no reason to make you want to do good with your portraits except for the threats of being put on notice. i could go on and on about this company. they need alot of improvement. i worked here for four years and all i got were empty promises as an assistant manager.

Advice to Management

stop talking behind coworker and old coworkers backs. its unprofessional. stop worrying so much about the sales average and look at the big picture. treat all your employees with respect. the upper management wouldnt be where they were at unless it were for the employees and lower staff beow them. lastly i understand money is important, but working us like dogs is ridiculous.

Full Time Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Portrait Innovations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros of working with this company are: The associate you work with are very inviting and enjoyable to be around.

Cons

The company is very disorganized, untrustworthy, and treat their employees as if they are a nobody. I witnessed first hand how cruel they can be. After putting in a notice of my resignation [like a professional, mature adult would] I was treated as if I was trash and told to gather my belongings and not to return to work. I found this to be very unprofessional and apathetic. The company will place blame on associates without proper knowledge of the situation. You receive only a 30 minute lunch on the weekends regardless if you work a 9-12 hour shift.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees professionally, not carelessly, without your employees your business would and will not succeed. Spend the ness. time training your employees instead of bring in new associates and expecting them to learn on their own.