Portrait Innovations

There are newer employer reviews for Portrait Innovations

Leadership change

Former Employee - MOD/Associate in Kalamazoo, MI
Former Employee - MOD/Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are very few aspects of this company that can be considered "pros" and it is very hard to state the positives since all locations are different. I was lucky enough to work with a staff that was different from all the rest. We cared for each other and any "bad apples" weeded themselves out.

We looked out for each other. There is an overall atmosphere of the BIG BAD TOP MANAGEMENT. But we stayed of their radar for a few years. We loved or studio/jobs. More importantly we loved each other and our sales reflected positively because of the massive amounts of respect at our studio.

Cons

The obvious cons have been stated over and again by other ex-employees. Corporate is only concerned about sales numbers and "hates" their employees. Sure I agree with this but I feel that top management has the right to make money, since the company as a whole is starting to fail. They have the right to find the best employees to do the job.

Where my issue starts is in who they place in the manager position and the drama filled atmosphere, as if high school never ended for the employees at PI. Manager expectations are high but its easy for bosses to blame employees for failures. Managers have no direct supervision yet lower associates are watched like hawks. If lower associates possess any knowledge of mature, respectful, leadership they get "dealt" with and are pushed out. Either by managers making their work lives hell or managers run to upper management with skewed stories of insubordination or employee trouble makers.

Employees that take the high road and try to deal with bad bosses maturely, get put on a "job in jeopardy." This is on top of having to keep sales numbers high and dealing with customers who feel entitled to get everything for next to nothing whilst fighting you and the process.

Understand and follow your own protocols and manuals. Leadership is key for success. Writing all the right leadership attributes in your management handbooks is only half the battle. Implementing them is the other side of running your business. Make sure when dealing with "trouble making" employees to interview the employee in question and don't rely on managers to give you a realistic, un-biased, explanation of any situation.

Hold managers to a higher standard and if their studio is failing to meet the numbers you expect, look to the leader insted of firing or punishing the employee with bad sales numbers. The employees may be expected by their managers to use sales techniques you frown upon and the managers will deny all of it to save their employment.

182 Other Employee Reviews for Portrait Innovations (View Most Recent)

Horrible

Former Employee - Associate in Lubbock, TX
    Former Employee - Associate in Lubbock, TX

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are none. Company is a joke

Cons

It's horrible make you work long hours don't give you time to spend with your family those whole company is a joke they don't care about there employees I am so glad I no longer work fr them its not worth it

Teach your studio managers to be just a regular employee and not someone who just sits back

For the first couple of years the company was pretty good, but recently it has gone way down hill.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MOD) in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MOD) in Arlington, TX

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For what you are doing the pay is pretty decent in my opinion. When you dont have rude parents and a screaming kid it really can be a fun experience taking their pictures and giving your customer something they will love and hold on to forever.

Cons

you hardly ever have weekends off. the schedule is constantly changing and never set. you see the same staff every day all day so there is never any change.(usually twelve photographers in one studio) on the weekends you only get a thirty minute lunch even though you work over a ten hour day. everyone including management talks behind one another backs and never tell associates what is going on till it happens. there have many of times ive worked off the clock. (with the amount i worked off the clock the company owes me prob a good thousand dollars in theses past few years total). you have a high pressure sales average that you have to maintain weekly with a package (9.95 & 14.95) that brings in lower class customers who only think to spend the amount that is advertised (so tell me how do they expect you to run over a hundred dollar average when they dont advertise anything but cheapness!?) Christmas you work 12 to 15 hour days. anywhere from 70 to 90 hours a week. You never get to see your family during holiday seasons. you're constantly sick from parents bringing in sick kids. you have no health befits from the company. when you call in sick they make you feel like your job is on the line. there is no reason to make you want to do good with your portraits except for the threats of being put on notice. i could go on and on about this company. they need alot of improvement. i worked here for four years and all i got were empty promises as an assistant manager.

stop talking behind coworker and old coworkers backs. its unprofessional. stop worrying so much about the sales average and look at the big picture. treat all your employees with respect. the upper management wouldnt be where they were at unless it were for the employees and lower staff beow them. lastly i understand money is important, but working us like dogs is ridiculous.

There are newer employer reviews for Portrait Innovations