Portrait Innovations

www.portraitinnovations.com
Engaged Employer
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Portrait Innovations

Great pay, advancement opportunity, and vacation package, but limited health/FMLA perks

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Nashville, TN
Former Employee - Studio Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent earning potential, fast advancement, strong team environment, goal-oriented, relocation allowance

Cons

More of a sales job than a photography job, no health insurance, no FMLA leave, relocation is often necessary to advance

Advice to Management

I only worked under one studio manager, who was ambitious, thorough, and dedicated the store and staff's success, and had 4 different regional managers (I worked in 3 different regions), who fit the same description.

In my opinion, the only way that management could improve, would be to emphasize the sales aspect of the job more in recruiting and hiring. All to often, new recruits would have lots of photography experience, but no sales skills, and would be very inflexible in learning or understanding the process.

I would also recommend a more solid cultivation of managers. I noticed that there were often managers who got promoted who should not have been, and their studios and staff suffered deficits and high turnover as a result.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

I felt like a pushy, used car salesman.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Photographer in Cedar Rapids, IA

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on where you work the only pro would be the people you work with.

Cons

It is a joke. You make good pay, but not enough for what you have to do. They suck you in by telling you that you will gain more photography experience, work in a fast pace, up beat environment, and that you have the potential to advance in the company. They only photography experience you get is how to follow their strict protocols, and if you don't you get critizied. They also only care about your employment if you have a high sales average, which is only realistic if every one of your sales is over $100. They also have no updated props, so the pictures are low quality, posing can only be so good, and they lie and say they don't keep the images so you will buy a cd. Well, they do keep the images. They are always located on every computer in the studio. You also have no time for your family. All of our days off our set by the corporate office (all the way in North Carolina, I live in Iowa) so I miss almost every family event because it is nearly impossible to request a day off. I have also only had one weekend off since i started at the company over 8 months ago. I finally got out of that corporate trap of a company.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be the Wal-Mart of portrait studios. You may have to pay more at other studios or buy hiring a personal photographer but by doing that you at least get quality.

Narrow minded, money hungry corporate fast food photography

Former Employee - Studio Manager in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Studio Manager in Newport News, VA

I worked at Portrait Innovations full-time (More than a year)

Pros

photography and working with kids and family

Cons

no guidance or feedback from upper management on improving,
    corporate only cares abou bringing in the money not cusotmer service, quality products or taking care of employees that work 80 hour work weeks