There are newer employer reviews for Postmates

Underappreciated

Current Employee - Courier  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Courier in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates part-time for less than a year

Pros

As a courier, you spend the vast majority of your time outside of the office and on your own. They are lenient about scheduling and you can work hourly or for commission as you please. You get to be outside most of the day and are not always busy.

Cons

The employees who work in the office have a major superiority complex regarding how they treat the couriers. This is both at emotional and functional level of the company. The co-founder Bastian Lehman constantly tries to instill fear and inferiority in couriers by regularly developing new rules such as: charging couriers money for any refunds they give customers. There is no motive for couriers to go slow, and plenty motive to go fast, and dispatchers place nearly all of the orders over the phone, so this is an illogical rule. Dispatchers actually call and place all orders immediately after customers order deliveries, this causes food to be prepared long before couriers reach the restaurant, and of course, cold food is one of the most common complaints. Also, the dispatchers are literally all young girls who lack knowledge of the geography and logistics of the city. There have been several occasions where myself and other couriers have verified that the dispatcher had a biker ride from downtown to outer Richmond while having a car do a pickup and droppff downtown with no parking. On top of this general pay has been decreased with no reason given. While couriers are independent contractors and have pay decreases, office employees not only are paid well but get benefits including free deliveries. So office employees use their free deliveries for lunch daily, which are not profitable to the company, and frequently interfere with deliveries for paying customers. On top of all of this, Postmates expects its couriers to use their own money for cash purchases, and although they promise 24 hr reimbursement, they are always late to reimburse and also late to pay paychecks. Finally, there's absolutely no upward mobility within the company.

Invest more in older and smarter dispatchers. Don't offer free deliveries to employees. Stick to your word of paying couriers on time. Call in orders in a timely fashion so food is not cold. Provide better integration between couriers so you don't have one courier struggling and another sitting there doing nothing. Offer bonuses to the best couriers. Require dispatchers to be couriers first.

59 Other Employee Reviews for Postmates (View Most Recent)

Exciting place to work

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Varied tasks in my job. I get to learn new things.
    Friendly atmosphere. I rarely see office drama.
    You will be pushed to grow and get better.
    Surrounded by people who have done this stuff for a lot longer than me. I learn from them constantly.

Cons

Long hours & stress - but what can you do? The benefits outweigh the fact that we must stay late sometimes or pull a weekend session.

keep growing

Small teams, fast growth, and interesting problems

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company feels small and everything is done super collaboratively. People seem to genuinely enjoy being here and doing the work they do, which makes for a fun environment. The company has a ton of things going on that will take the product to the next level, and I'm excited to see where it all leads. The CEO is pretty eccentric, but very accessible and down to earth which I appreciate.

Cons

This is definitely still a startup and the hours reflect it. If I ever stop enjoying my work, this will be a problem.

Keep things fun and take us to the next level.

There are newer employer reviews for Postmates

Worked for Postmates? Contribute to the Community!