There are newer employer reviews for Postmates

Underappreciated

Current Employee - Courier in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Courier in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a courier, you spend the vast majority of your time outside of the office and on your own. They are lenient about scheduling and you can work hourly or for commission as you please. You get to be outside most of the day and are not always busy.

Cons

The employees who work in the office have a major superiority complex regarding how they treat the couriers. This is both at emotional and functional level of the company. The co-founder Bastian Lehman constantly tries to instill fear and inferiority in couriers by regularly developing new rules such as: charging couriers money for any refunds they give customers. There is no motive for couriers to go slow, and plenty motive to go fast, and dispatchers place nearly all of the orders over the phone, so this is an illogical rule. Dispatchers actually call and place all orders immediately after customers order deliveries, this causes food to be prepared long before couriers reach the restaurant, and of course, cold food is one of the most common complaints. Also, the dispatchers are literally all young girls who lack knowledge of the geography and logistics of the city. There have been several occasions where myself and other couriers have verified that the dispatcher had a biker ride from downtown to outer Richmond while having a car do a pickup and droppff downtown with no parking. On top of this general pay has been decreased with no reason given. While couriers are independent contractors and have pay decreases, office employees not only are paid well but get benefits including free deliveries. So office employees use their free deliveries for lunch daily, which are not profitable to the company, and frequently interfere with deliveries for paying customers. On top of all of this, Postmates expects its couriers to use their own money for cash purchases, and although they promise 24 hr reimbursement, they are always late to reimburse and also late to pay paychecks. Finally, there's absolutely no upward mobility within the company.

Invest more in older and smarter dispatchers. Don't offer free deliveries to employees. Stick to your word of paying couriers on time. Call in orders in a timely fashion so food is not cold. Provide better integration between couriers so you don't have one courier struggling and another sitting there doing nothing. Offer bonuses to the best couriers. Require dispatchers to be couriers first.

67 Other Employee Reviews for Postmates (View Most Recent)

Exciting place to work

I have been working at Postmates

Pros

Varied tasks in my job. I get to learn new things.
    Friendly atmosphere. I rarely see office drama.
    You will be pushed to grow and get better.
    Surrounded by people who have done this stuff for a lot longer than me. I learn from them constantly.

Cons

Long hours & stress - but what can you do? The benefits outweigh the fact that we must stay late sometimes or pull a weekend session.

keep growing

Guys, postmates is the thing!

Current Employee - Courier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Courier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Postmates part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The first day i worked with these guys i was abit worried to be honest because i read a couple of negative reviews. However, after having my app set up and my pic was posted, i turned my app on and hit the road. Five minutes after driving in the delivery zone, i got a delivery request and until i turned my app off i was constantly recieving orders and delivering. I was hoping to make at least 40$ the first day just to get encourage but i got paid way more than that in less than 3 hours and a half!

Cons

Parking spots. I was constantly concerned about my car in most of my deliveries as some places have limited or no parking spaces.

Work on updating the software of the app, it has alot of bugs which made my gps turn off and my phone freeze for a while.

There are newer employer reviews for Postmates