Postmates

postmates.com

Underappreciated

Courier (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAs a courier, you spend the vast majority of your time outside of the office and on your own. They are lenient about scheduling and you can work hourly or for commission as you please. You get to be outside most of the day and are not always busy.

ConsThe employees who work in the office have a major superiority complex regarding how they treat the couriers. This is both at emotional and functional level of the company. The co-founder Bastian Lehman constantly tries to instill fear and inferiority in couriers by regularly developing new rules such as: charging couriers money for any refunds they give customers. There is no motive for couriers to go slow, and plenty motive to go fast, and dispatchers place nearly all of the orders over the phone, so this is an illogical rule. Dispatchers actually call and place all orders immediately after customers order deliveries, this causes food to be prepared long before couriers reach the restaurant, and of course, cold food is one of the most common complaints. Also, the dispatchers are literally all young girls who lack knowledge of the geography and logistics of the city. There have been several occasions where myself and other couriers have verified that the dispatcher had a biker ride from downtown to outer Richmond while having a car do a pickup and droppff downtown with no parking. On top of this general pay has been decreased with no reason given. While couriers are independent contractors and have pay decreases, office employees not only are paid well but get benefits including free deliveries. So office employees use their free deliveries for lunch daily, which are not profitable to the company, and frequently interfere with deliveries for paying customers. On top of all of this, Postmates expects its couriers to use their own money for cash purchases, and although they promise 24 hr reimbursement, they are always late to reimburse and also late to pay paychecks. Finally, there's absolutely no upward mobility within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in older and smarter dispatchers. Don't offer free deliveries to employees. Stick to your word of paying couriers on time. Call in orders in a timely fashion so food is not cold. Provide better integration between couriers so you don't have one courier struggling and another sitting there doing nothing. Offer bonuses to the best couriers. Require dispatchers to be couriers first.

Exciting place to work

I have been working at Postmates

Pros: Varied tasks in my job. I get to learn new things. Friendly atmosphere. I rarely see office drama. You will be pushed to… Cons: Long hours & stress - but what can you do? The benefits outweigh… Advice to Senior Management: keep growing Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A Nice Way to Collect Some Spare Cash

Postmates Courier (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at Postmates part-time for less than a year

Pros: Flexibility -- you truly control your own hours, from deciding which shifts to schedule yourself on during the week to spontaneously signing on for duty… Cons: I would discourage anyone from considering this a viable full time job. Even when you are scheduled on a shift (and supposedly receive dispatch… Advice to Senior Management: Consider paring back your Courier staff so as to ensure a steady flow of work… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Postmates.

Worked for Postmates? Contribute to the Community!