Strung Along

Current Employee - Shift Leader
Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has a strong set of values that can be found in a document called "The Potbelly Advantage." The values and other parts of the document act as a resource of how to run the business. It's one of the reasons I am so passionate about the company. Some of the values the company embraces are food loving, integrity, and accountability; there are others, and I believe in all of them. I do my best to demonstrate the Potbelly Advantage while I perform my job as well in my personal life.
At most of the stores I've worked at the people have a strong sense of teamwork and are willing to learn more and increase their capabilities.
It might be food service, but it's a place where you can give the customers a different experience than most places. I truly value that.

Cons

Advancement opportunities for internal employees seems to be more difficult than it should be. Even when you do everything you're asked and more there is a chance you will be strung along. For the first time I am reconsidering my employment with the company.
There are times the values mentioned in the pros don't seem to be followed by some which is extremely frustrating for those who believe in following best practices. It's hard to watch when the same people breaking the rules seem to get the most praise from upper management. Ironically upper management is theoretically blind to the lack of integrity.
Managers, including shift leaders get burnt out which at times can lead to a lack of positive energy that customers can see. Which is NOT the leaders intentions!

Advice to Management

Have more faith in the people who work the hardest to execute the Potbelly Advantage.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun and relaxed

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere for regular employees, lots of fun. Uniforms are comfortable, reasonable hours, good food, too.

Cons

Benefits don't kick in until after a year of full time, which can be difficult to achieve the right number of hours. Moving up in the company can make you feel like a trained monkey

Advice to Management

Don't take advantage of your employees. Use their talents, don't exploit their desire for promotion

2. Not the worse job for a high school or college student

Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Certified Trainer in Madison, WI

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are a lot of fun to work with and it is a great work atmosphere.

Cons

Promotions are often times hard to receive or will get without a pay increase.