There are newer employer reviews for Potbelly Sandwich Works

great food

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works

Pros

good food great ingredients fresh.

Cons

low volume through out the day.

148 Other Employee Reviews for Potbelly Sandwich Works (View Most Recent)

Fun and relaxed

Former Employee - Shift Leader  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere for regular employees, lots of fun. Uniforms are comfortable, reasonable hours, good food, too.

Cons

Benefits don't kick in until after a year of full time, which can be difficult to achieve the right number of hours. Moving up in the company can make you feel like a trained monkey

Don't take advantage of your employees. Use their talents, don't exploit their desire for promotion

Strung Along

Current Employee - Shift Leader
    Current Employee - Shift Leader

I have been working at Potbelly Sandwich Works full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has a strong set of values that can be found in a document called "The Potbelly Advantage." The values and other parts of the document act as a resource of how to run the business. It's one of the reasons I am so passionate about the company. Some of the values the company embraces are food loving, integrity, and accountability; there are others, and I believe in all of them. I do my best to demonstrate the Potbelly Advantage while I perform my job as well in my personal life.
    At most of the stores I've worked at the people have a strong sense of teamwork and are willing to learn more and increase their capabilities.
    It might be food service, but it's a place where you can give the customers a different experience than most places. I truly value that.

Cons

Advancement opportunities for internal employees seems to be more difficult than it should be. Even when you do everything you're asked and more there is a chance you will be strung along. For the first time I am reconsidering my employment with the company.
    There are times the values mentioned in the pros don't seem to be followed by some which is extremely frustrating for those who believe in following best practices. It's hard to watch when the same people breaking the rules seem to get the most praise from upper management. Ironically upper management is theoretically blind to the lack of integrity.
    Managers, including shift leaders get burnt out which at times can lead to a lack of positive energy that customers can see. Which is NOT the leaders intentions!

Have more faith in the people who work the hardest to execute the Potbelly Advantage.

There are newer employer reviews for Potbelly Sandwich Works

Worked for Potbelly Sandwich Works? Contribute to the Community!