There are newer employer reviews for Pottery Barn

Discount is about the only benefit

Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist
Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is fantastic

Cons

As a recent college graduate from one of the top universities in the country, it's hard to be satisfied with a minimum wage paying job with no optimism for rapid growth within the company. It takes a VERY long time to move up from sales.. and I mean YEARS. Specific to my location, management is full of drama and manipulation and there was always a problem being "secretly" spread around the establishment. There were scheduling games and the turnover rate is way too high, which is to be expected in retail. However, I never saw any steps being taken to avoid this high turn over rate and my general manager never learned how to professionally deal with staff members.
Additionally, the company overall fails to provide benefits to part-time employees. There is no 401k, health benefits, or paid time off for part-time employees. There is also no stability in the hours you will receive.

Overall, if I were looking for a job in the service industry, I would look at companies like Costco and In-n-Out who provide awesome benefits and have a positive reputation for taking care of the lowest level employees.

Upper management would benefit from limiting scheduling payroll to store performance and pressuring the managers to produce sales while upper management is doing very little to make any changes to accommodate the rapid growth of e-commerce. It's a trickle down system and it starts from the top. The world of retail is dramatically changing and unless the company as a whole makes adjustments to help the production of in store sales, than they're going to see a downfall of performance.

260 Other Employee Reviews for Pottery Barn (View Most Recent)

Good company

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People. Merchandise. Work/Life balance. Benefits.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited.

Love hate relationship

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My manager was wonderful; very approachable and easygoing, but knew to crack down when it mattered.

Almost all of my coworkers were very kind, approachable people - we worked marvelously as a group.

The store was beautiful; the store particular store I worked in was huge and particularly well known, leading to a very productive mindset.

For the most part the customers were fantastic people. I genuinely enjoyed getting to know them and work with them; I would go home with a smile on my face and a story about a wonderful customer I had almost every day.

Flexible scheduling. I needed a second job that would be willing to work with my school schedule and my main job, and this was the perfect fit.

Cons

Pay was horrendous. You're expected to sell couches for upwards of two grand or more, and make barely over minimum wage to do so. In the end I was losing money by working here.

Some co-workers are very belittling and rude. They view you as competition, not as a teammate.

Archaic system that took forever to do anything, broke down a lot, and just looked and felt generally clunky and unprofessional. Come on - the company can afford better than this.

"Because of payroll" was heard way too often when it came to hours getting cut. Corporate basically expected to spend peanuts on payroll but make the same profit they would if they'd prioritized payroll over everything else. This led to stress, backbiting, and paranoia.

Stop cutting payroll. The unreliability of hours was one of the hugest contributing factors in the high turnover at my store. If you treat your employees like a burden rather than an asset, they'll go somewhere else and all you'll be left with is the bottom of the barrel employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Pottery Barn