There are newer employer reviews for Pottery Barn

Discount is about the only benefit

Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist
Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employee discount is fantastic

Cons

As a recent college graduate from one of the top universities in the country, it's hard to be satisfied with a minimum wage paying job with no optimism for rapid growth within the company. It takes a VERY long time to move up from sales.. and I mean YEARS. Specific to my location, management is full of drama and manipulation and there was always a problem being "secretly" spread around the establishment. There were scheduling games and the turnover rate is way too high, which is to be expected in retail. However, I never saw any steps being taken to avoid this high turn over rate and my general manager never learned how to professionally deal with staff members. Additionally, the company overall fails to provide benefits to part-time employees. There is no 401k, health benefits, or paid time off for part-time employees. There is also no stability in the hours you will receive. Overall, if I were looking for a job in the service industry, I would look at companies like Costco and In-n-Out who provide awesome benefits and have a positive reputation for taking care of the lowest level employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management would benefit from limiting scheduling payroll to store performance and pressuring the managers to produce sales while upper management is doing very little to make any changes to accommodate the rapid growth of e-commerce. It's a trickle down system and it starts from the top. The world of retail is dramatically changing and unless the company as a whole makes adjustments to help the production of in store sales, than they're going to see a downfall of performance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

No room for advancement!

Current Employee - Design Studio Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Design Studio Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great established brand name. Knowledgeable employees. Excellent discounts. Fun high end clientele In Home design appointments.

Cons

Management can be disrespectful to associates & design specialist. No pay increase for seasoned..qualified associates & design specialist. Management uses available hours to tease associates who need those hours.

Advice to Management

Give us design specialist a PAY increase and more well organized high tech tools to assist our high end clientele. Especially here in New York City.

Good company

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Pottery Barn full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People. Merchandise. Work/Life balance. Benefits.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are limited.