There are newer employer reviews for Pottery Barn

Discount is about the only benefit

Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist
Former Employee - Design Studio Specialist

I worked at Pottery Barn part-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee discount is fantastic

Cons

As a recent college graduate from one of the top universities in the country, it's hard to be satisfied with a minimum wage paying job with no optimism for rapid growth within the company. It takes a VERY long time to move up from sales.. and I mean YEARS. Specific to my location, management is full of drama and manipulation and there was always a problem being "secretly" spread around the establishment. There were scheduling games and the turnover rate is way too high, which is to be expected in retail. However, I never saw any steps being taken to avoid this high turn over rate and my general manager never learned how to professionally deal with staff members.
Additionally, the company overall fails to provide benefits to part-time employees. There is no 401k, health benefits, or paid time off for part-time employees. There is also no stability in the hours you will receive.

Overall, if I were looking for a job in the service industry, I would look at companies like Costco and In-n-Out who provide awesome benefits and have a positive reputation for taking care of the lowest level employees.

Upper management would benefit from limiting scheduling payroll to store performance and pressuring the managers to produce sales while upper management is doing very little to make any changes to accommodate the rapid growth of e-commerce. It's a trickle down system and it starts from the top. The world of retail is dramatically changing and unless the company as a whole makes adjustments to help the production of in store sales, than they're going to see a downfall of performance.

245 Other Employee Reviews for Pottery Barn (View Most Recent)

Excellent company, People First, Great Product, Great Associates and Great Customers

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Pottery Barn full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The opportunity to help our customer's create their Dream Home! Opportunity to be creative! Appreciated for work! Great people to work with, Great teams.

Cons

Need to be very flexible and have a lot of knowledge about product. Ability to multi-task as you will always be doing multiple things while trying to deliver exceptional service.

A great experience

Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Casual Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Pottery Barn part-time for less than a year

Pros

The product is gorgeous and its fun to talk to guests about their projects.

Cons

I don't really have one.

Make the investment to upgrade the software systems and streamline the merch locator. Pay commission to design studio specialists who make many of the big ticket sales. Make it easy for the employees to get things done in the system - allowing more time to engage the guests.

There are newer employer reviews for Pottery Barn

Worked for Pottery Barn? Contribute to the Community!