Powell's Books

www.powells.com

Powell's hires extraordinary people and pays them poorly.

Generalist (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsPowell's offers a generous discount and good, competitive benefits to full-time employees.
The hourly employees are extremely knowledgeable and competent.

ConsPowell's relies on their reputation as an extraordinary, large independent bookstore to pay their employees poorly and depend on them to run the store. The management has very little to do with the success (or failure) of the company. In my opinion, the store remains successful in spite of the incompetent management staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf layoffs of temps and new hires continue to shock the stores, please consider weeding out some of the salaried employees. Management is top-heavy and the current employees do not need any more work to do.
Pay hourly employees more; they are the ones providing top-notch customer service 8 hours a day. They're responsible for sales, whether those sales come from online or walk-in customers.

A mixed bag

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Portland, OR

I worked at Powell's Books

Pros: Working at Powell's, you will get to meet some very intelligent and friendly coworkers who may become your friends for life. Most of the people… Cons: The pay is really low, even for "professional level" positions. It's a union shop, so bargaining unit wages are negotiated at contract renewal time, but… Advice to Senior Management: It's time to start valuing and trusting your employees again. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

If you love Books and an Indy Culture this is the place for you!

Customer Service (Current Employee) Portland, OR

I have been working at Powell's Books

Pros: Great people and diversity.Independant bookstore with a Union. Cons: Limited job openings. Retail working hours-weekends. Advice to Senior Management: Sell it more and become a true force to be… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Powell's Books.

Worked for Powell's Books? Contribute to the Community!