There are newer employer reviews for Power Home Remodeling Group

A company with zero integrity. Mislead employees & customers. Don't waste your time.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cranford, NJ

I have been working at Power Home Remodeling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Unlimited earning potential
-Loads of training. First four weeks of training are paid.
-Upbeat, casual work atmosphere
-Company-sponsored holiday trips, outings, etc.

Cons

Power seems to be all about misleading people - homeowners and employees alike. And please note, some of those 5-star ratings are absolutely, positively fake. Please don't allow yourself to be mislead like so many others.

They list the "sales representative" position as base + commission, with the base being around 30k. There is no base. It is absolutely, positively, 100% commission. The exception is that you are paid $500/week (before taxes) during your first four weeks of training. 100% commission serves some of the reps extremely well - and by some of the reps I am referring to perhaps 5% of the company. Red flag.

Beware: very much like the sales pitch, the interview feels very scripted. It's a lot about the company history, income potential, and so on. Very little about who you are and what you can bring to the company. Red flag.

The interview process is based almost entirely on misinformation. You will be fed "pie in the sky" numbers and statistics in an effort to sell you on the position and get you in the door, and the reason they must do that is because there is such an enormous turnover rate. You'll hear about the top reps in the company who have financial freedom and how even the average reps are making $70K+/year. You will be fed statistic after statistic after statistic about average commissions, average number of appointments per week, average this, average that. I am unsure where all these averages and statistics came from because in my experience, they are simply not realistic. You are told that each appointment is "scrubbed" for maximum efficiency. Also not realistic. There are so many appointments coming in that they don't seem to have the manpower to scrub them properly. It is not uncommon to show up to a house where people aren't home or who have already cancelled, even though they are supposedly confirmed hours prior. That's great news when you have driven 45 minutes using your own money for gas and tolls (no reimbursement for either), just to find out that you have absolutely no chance at making a sale. Additionally, it is not uncommon to go to a home where Power Home Remodeling Group simply can't do the work that the homeowner desires, which is also something they are supposed to "scrub" for in the appointment setting process. Red flag.

You are told in your interview that your first two weeks are classroom style training, 9-4, and then the following two weeks you are going out on your own appointments. False. All four weeks of training you will be expected in that classroom environment from 9-5. And after 5pm you will then be responsible for going out on shadow appointments or running your own, and sometimes will not get home until 12am or later. All of this while you are being pressed to soak up an enormous amount of information, study, and so on. Sound stressful? Then this job isn't for you.

Fast forward to when you're out of training. You're no longer required to be in the office everyday, although you may be encouraged and even pressured to go in. So instead of heading into the office around 9am, you will be expected to be dressed and ready to head out to an appointment from 8am until 7pm. You are basically "on call" for the entire day. These appointments, which can be up to 55 miles from your house, come to you through a text message and email that will arrive no earlier than two hours before you need to be there. And it is not uncommon for you to receive that notification minutes before the appointment, leaving you rushed and with no way to contact the homeowner to apologize for the delay. And if it weren't bad enough, most of what you will tell homeowners feels untrue. You will be encouraged to make the sale however you can, regardless of what promises you make that are sure to be broken down the line, and regardless of whether or not that person wants you out of their home.

To summarize: aggressive recruitment tactics with embellished numbers and false claims that will leave you wondering. Very long hours with little room for leisure. No reimbursement for gas or tolls. A high-pressured sales methodology that will appeal to a cut-throat sort of personality; if you're looking to feel as though you are helping people, this is not for you. Extremely high turnover rate in both "marketing" and sales.

Advice to Management

Honesty goes a long way - be up front about the day-to-day duties and true income potential, and you can focus more on developing your people instead of replacing the ones who feel lied to and jump ship.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

An amazing culture with the drive and desire to grow and be the best

Current Employee - Remodeling Consultant in Greenbelt, MD
    Current Employee - Remodeling Consultant in Greenbelt, MD

I have been working at Power Home Remodeling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is great to be a part of an organization that is constantly striving to be better and the leadership at every level is always listening to its employees, gathering ideas on how to get there. The culture in the workplace is awesome. You have unlimited opportunities, promotion only happens from within which ensures that everyone not only can grow with Power, but you know that everyone above you has done it the same way which breeds respect and loyalty.

Cons

The only con and its hard to call it a con, is sometimes there are some very late nights, but it all balances itself out in the end.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it's working.

If you want real opportunity for growth and income, PHRG is it

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Cranford, NJ

I have been working at Power Home Remodeling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started off at PHRG in the marketing department skeptical of the opportunity. As someone who has a degree in another field, this job was more of a filler until I got a position in the field "I wanted to be in." I quickly learned that this was no gimmick. Power was going to reward you for all the hard work and dedication. The marketing position can be challenging, but with hard work and dedication I was promoted to Marketing Manager. Income opportunity increased even more. To cap off the year and show their appreciation, PHRG had a holiday party. It was a 4-day royal caribbean cruise!

After having done Marketing for almost a year it was time for a new adventure. I spoke with the Regional VP for marketing and expressed interest in a promotion to sales. We talked it out in order to make sure I was prepared to make the switch and within a month I did receive this promotion. Again the income opportunity increased significantly. The sales position is one I never thought I could be successful in when I started at power, I didn't know if I had "it" in me. Again I hadn't gone to school for this sort of position. The best part is, it didn't matter. Power provides you with top of the line training that would never be found elsewhere. The Sales VP is tireless in his efforts to making sure you have all the tools to succeed BEFORE "throwing you to the wolves'" as they say. Power has put such a system in place that if you just follow it, you'll have success immediately. Now there's no illusions here, you will have to work extremely hard here. You're not going to be handed things simply because your "here" but what company would do that anyway? If you put in the effort you will get paid. If you work harder, you'll earn more income. If you work harder than the guy net to you, you'll earn more than him. After about 6 months I earned more responsibility within the office and started getting prepped by the Sales VP for another promotion. Again more work, however more income. They won't just throw you into a position you can't handle. After a few months of hard work and leadership training I was again promoted into management in the sales department. The opportunity at Power is truly extraordinary. What's great is I don't have to look for jobs in the field "I really want." I've already found this job and I'm earning more money every year than I ever would have with my original degree. They sky is the limit with Power. The hungrier you are for success the more you'll have and the more opportunity you have. Power does not care what your background is or what you look like, they judge you based off effort and results, both of which are in your control.

Cons

If youre expecting to earn over 100k and put in a 25k/year effort, its not going to get what you want. You'll be given opportunity based on the amount of hard work you put in.

Advice to Management

Continue to show your employees appreciation as you've done in the past.