Praetorian Group

www.praetoriandigital.com
  www.praetoriandigital.com
There are newer employer reviews for Praetorian Group

A young, innovative and energetic work place that makes you feel like you are accomplishing something.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Praetorian Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working together as a team, all working for the same result, is as much infectious as it is rewarding. The products, a group of new media sites targeted toward the public safety market, are rich and informative. This company keeps officers, firefighters, ems and military personnel safe on the streets through thoughtful original content and responsible sourcing. In my years with PG, I truly felt like I was contributing to the goals and overall success of this amazing resource. I worked with wonderful people that I still call friends today and felt like we were all working as a unit.

Cons

This is not big-business corporate america, so if you like anonymity, this may not be a great fit. The company is striving for growth and smart business choices, so the money gets spent on the company and does not go into employees pockets. If you don't feel public safety is important, this is a passionate company mentality and one would need to care a little about the product goals.

The company has tended to promote from within, which is important, and a policy I would suggest keeping. Be open to employees opinion, as they could be an assistant or a VP, sometimes great ideas can come from those you least expect them from.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Praetorian Group (View Most Recent)

Great people to work with, great company mission

I have been working at Praetorian Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In some ways, the company has changed a lot since I first began here. We now have considerably more staff, more websites, and more departments. But despite all of this, the core values have remained constant: it's a fun and rewarding place to work, with some genuinely great people within each department and level.

The fact each department is relatively small means it does require a certain type of person to work here (similar to other small/medium-sized companies): someone who is able to think creatively, can manage different tasks, learn new things and thrive on responsibility.

The rewards are enormous in terms of being able to develop and learn new skills. Those who eventually move on to other companies will do so having learned a lot during their time here. One of the best current trends within the company as it grows is the fact more and more people are being promoted to different roles within different departments. It has allowed people to advance in their careers and explore new opportunities without the need to join a new company to achieve that.

Cons

The pro to small teams can also be a con for people who don't enjoy the extra responsibility and opportunities that naturally come with that.

Focus on what really matters and the core strengths of the company.

Unique opportunity to grow professionally, learn, give back, work with great people and have some fun.

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Praetorian Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As CEO and founder of Praetorian, I thought I’d be unconventional review my own company. As with any company that has had hundreds of employees come through its doors, they’ll be some who - for whatever reason - left unhappy. Obviously, I’m biased and have a different experience than others, but I want to provide what I think is important and fair context for anyone learning about our company from employee reviews.

If you’re considering joining a small company or start-up – whether ours or another – it’s important to understand the pros and cons. If you’re looking for a highly structured, 9 to 5 environment with lots of training and managers with 20 years of experience, a big company can be a great spot. But if you’re looking for a fast-paced environment with less structure where you can make an impact and accelerate your professional growth, then a small company can be an amazing experience. At Praetorian, nearly 60% of our employees have been on our team for more than 2 years and nearly 25% more than 5 years. I’m a strong believer that our company is a great place to start and further your career.

I am really proud of the company we've become in close to 14 years of development. Awards are what they are, but just recently we were named the 2013 winner of the ‘Dream Big’ Small Business of the Year Award by the US Chamber of Commerce as the top small business in the US. It’s a highly prestigious, national award that recognizes the balance between business achievement and positive employee culture development.

That said, I’ll be the first to admit that we have areas to improve. Management is a constant learning experience, and the downside of offering employees accelerated growth opportunities and promoting up from within is that new managers often need time to find their footing. However, we stress to all employees that there are outlets for feedback and any problems are investigated with urgency and addressed fairly. Abuse of employees does not occur nor would ever be tolerated. I am particularly proud of our track record of developing good managers, including many who initially struggled.

On average, we work very normal days – for the majority a standard 8:30 to 5:30 with an hour for lunch. As with any business, there are busy stretches or specific projects that require additional time, but those are irregular. I would tout our work/life balance as a real selling point of employment at Praetorian.

Compensation is one of the stickiest of subjects at any company, let alone one that has been subject to the recent ups and downs in the public sector. We recently had our employee compensation reviewed by a third party and it came back on target. There were a couple of outliers in both directions, but none excessive. As a small company that reinvests every dollar in the business, we’re very thoughtful about expenses. And where we can’t push the envelope in terms of monetary compensation, we offer softer benefits like employee stock options and attractive health benefits at levels well above industry standard. We also give extra days off like birthdays and Praetorian Day – a holiday we created in October.

As a management team, we spend a large percentage of our time on company culture and take HR very seriously approaching it 100% by the book. We have two formal review periods per year and conduct exit interviews and anonymous company surveys to see what we can improve. Professional development is very important to me, which is why I make it a point to get to know everyone at the company and take all new hires out to lunch to get a better understanding of their career objectives. We also place heavy emphasis on building friendships and offering fun company activities, each organized with a great deal of freedom by a committee of junior employees. Last year, those included an offsite in Vegas, a ballgame, wine tasting at my home and annual traditions like ‘Praetorian Olympics’ in Golden Gate Park.

Finally, many in the company, including myself, care very deeply about our mission. The information and services we provide help police officers, firefighters, paramedics and now our nation’s armed forces stay better informed, better protect our communities and come home safe. Though no company is the right fit for everyone, we've created a great business that’s making a difference and for most it’s a very rewarding place to be.

Cons

See the above for context on Praetorian’s pros and cons as reviewed here.

There are newer employer reviews for Praetorian Group