Pragmatics

www.pragmatics.com
  www.pragmatics.com
There are newer employer reviews for Pragmatics

The company is as boring and unimaginative as its outdated logo

I have been working at Pragmatics

Pros

There are not many administrative, career development-related requirements to keep up with from headquarters.

Cons

I was consistently told to find education opportunities to pursue and told that there was a good budget for them. I was denied every time I asked to take a class despite all my requests being related to my work and even when I proposed something very cheap.

Upper management is very cold and distant.

You will not be allowed to be unbillable for any amount of time if your contract ends. I don't believe that management will go out of their way to place people on projects in these circumstances despite what they say.

There is essentially no company culture and there is no effort to build one. They have a Christmas party every year that everybody jokes about and nobody wants to go to. Same with their summer picnic. They're both held in inconvenient locations as well because the company is too cheap to book a more central location.

I can't imagine why they haven't thought to change the company logo. It looks like it was made in AutoCAD in 1990.

It's a very boring company.

Benefits aren't anything special. The vesting schedule for 401k matching is so ridiculously long that they might as well not match anything.

Be more honest with your employees. Find a way to make the company more interesting to work for so people can be proud they work there.

40 Other Employee Reviews for Pragmatics (View Most Recent)

Penny wise Pound foolish...

Former Employee - AV Integration Designer in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - AV Integration Designer in Reston, VA

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High Tech government support contractor in the Washington DC metro area

Cons

Short sighted views of needs to accomplish required tasks.

Spend money to to make money

The Best of Government Contractors

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Pragmatics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Strong internal processes. It's hard for managers who may not want you to shine too much to keep you down.
    * Excellent Pay. They offer good money from the start for what you can do for them and pay via performance and offer multiple opportunities per year to get a raise. No frat club snobbery here, you're judged by what you bring to the table and they LIKE intellectuals and serious techies
    *Good Benefits. Education/ Skillport/ College Support, good vacation and other "standard" benes people tend to skip on these days, annual party, happy hours, occasional lunch covered
    *For all the things I say below, they are a steady company overall. If you can get on a strong contract, or multiple contracts, you're golden
    *Very little nonsense, and there's much to be said for it

Cons

*Overtime pay doesn't happen often. You'd have to pass 96 hours in a period to get anything extra.
    *Strange Mom and Pop dynamics in upper management. Sometimes your phone gets collected or some other dumb thing happens because someone close to the big cheese gets involved and what they say goes. It's weird little stuff though and nothing that couldn't be dealt with.
    *The government isn't as strong as it was for a steady gig. I loved the place but they didn't keep the account. They're steady overall but if you lose your gig, there's some support but not a great chance you'll stay. I could have a taken a more fun gig, but I took this one because I thought it would be steady. No such luck.

None really. Just keep doing your best. It looks like the younger guy in the upper echelon is smart and cool, and the big cheese is actually pretty cool too for the most part. General Manager was just moving into his space when I left, but he's the real deal. I'd love to see you guys sell to the private sector so there are more fun things to do.

There are newer employer reviews for Pragmatics