There are newer employer reviews for Praxair

When the economy tanked, so did their concern for their employees

Current Employee - I&E Technician in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - I&E Technician in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a lot of micro management, lots of overtime, and a commitment for safety

Cons

Lots of overtime, corporate management is constantly changing things, and the farther away you are from Tonawanda, NY, the less they care about you and your plant.

Advice to Management

Many Praxair plants are on the grounds of other industrial plants. Compare what their employees in similar roles say about their company to what Praxair's employees say about Praxair. In so many words, no one will envy your position at Praxair.

Other Employee Reviews for Praxair

A fine company, great business model, but very conservative and do not care a lot about employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Terrific knowledge base, great commitment to safety, most managers walk the talk, good commitment to integrity, you're able to move into a different career path if you want to and put in the effort, everyone's willing to teach you what they know, great people at every single location including all the plants I've ever been to

Cons

Too risk averse, not willing to fire anyone, some very old school managers that feel there's only one way to get certain jobs (i.e. very difficult to move between technical and sales), not a good internal job change process, overall huge lack of communication, big mismatch in male-female ratio (about 83-17%)

Advice to Management

PLEASE do a better job managing your managers. They are the single worst thing about Praxair. I would say 80% of the salaried workforce are engineers, and most engineers need a lot of help to become good managers; it's just not in their DNA. Many people are promoted into the wrong positions and don't know how to use the power. I don't foresee any change in pay in the future, but especially in a town like Houston where I work, you can't afford to treat people poorly AND pay low salaries. They'll leave.

Slave away your life

Current Employee - Chemist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Chemist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Praxair full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You have a job. Overtime

Cons

They overwork their employees (15+ hours OT ) Underpay employees Very bad work environment Poor Management

Advice to Management

They need to please learn how to manage. They mix too much personal with business, they play favoritism with certain employee while exploiting others.