Premera Blue Cross

www.premera.com
There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross

Premera does a lot of things right

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Colleagues
Benefits
Location
Committed to community and environment
Strive to do the right thing and make a difference
Adapting well to healthcare reform
Subsidized food program/great food vendor
Health & wellness programs
Flexibility
Concern for employees

Cons

Heirarchy
Limited career advancement opp. for some
Patriarchy
Conservative
Traditional mindset (fairly formal)
Favoritism
Limited recognition and rewards
In many cases, silos still exist
Need more company-wide activities to promote interaction

Encourage more interaction between groups and set up opportunities. Leadership could be more visible, more forthcoming, less formal, and less controlling.

158 Other Employee Reviews for Premera Blue Cross (View Most Recent)

My career is stagnant

Current Employee - Claims Associate IV in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Claims Associate IV in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Flexible hours, asking for time off is not a struggle, telecommuting, no micro managing, easy and fast commute, ability to listen to music as you work

Cons

Good luck advancing at a normal rate if you're not related to someone in upper management. Sure, there are great opportunities throughout the company, but doesn't mean you actually have a good chance of getting them.

Reward your employee with something more than jamba juice. Recognize people who actually do good work consistently without having to kiss everyone's behind/be related to someone in a higher position. I'm tired of hearing what a great job we do and getting terrible raises. Then to hear the CEO made $$$$$$$$ in bonuses while we all get 2% raises for our outstanding work is bull.

The most dysfunctional IT department I've ever worked in.

Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Ample free parking - if you got there before 8:30am. The mission statement and philosophy focused on the customer, the people we insured. Many of the people I worked with both on the Business side and in IT - this was not a large segment of the population due to the lack of accountability that is so wide spread there.

Cons

I've been working in IT for twenty years and I've seen a lot but this by far is the most dysfunctional IT Department I've ever worked in. There is NO Leadership with vision and strategy alignment with the business units. The mismanagement in the Leadership ranks is frightening. It appears they all came from failed companies or were shed by downsizing. There are so many former WaMu people there they could rename it WaMu II. Most of the line staff walks around gleefully unaccountable for producing anything, coming in late and leaving early and socializing most of the day away. There are a lot of people riding on the backs of the few that are working hard there. My advice, if you’re in the IT profession, don’t come here.

Clean house in IT Leadership from the CIO down or just outsource it all. Provide real vision and leadership to the IT masses so they can work up to their real potential and not languish in the backwaters of IT.

There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross