Premera Blue Cross

www.premera.com
  www.premera.com
There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross

Company that's doing the right thing for health care, but very hierarchical & challenging to get things done

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Premera should be commended for the leadership role it is taking in trying to transform the challenges we have in this country with its health care system. Senior management believes and acts on doing the right thing. If you want to be a part of the solution to change health care, this is the place to be.

Cons

Really tough work environment and it's very hierarchical. While they have a strong management team, they are their own worse enemy. there's lots of bureaucracy involved in getting decisions made and while they think they're moving at a fast pace, they're not. As an employee, you need to have a lot of patience and thick skin to work at PRemera. Be prepared to receive little if any praise or recognition and many times, the reward for good work is more work. If you're a person who thrives on taking on more work with little recognition or pay then Premera is the place for you.

You spend a lot of money hiring smart people. Get out of the way and let them do their work. Senior management wants too much control in how decisions are made and how the work gets done.

153 Other Employee Reviews for Premera Blue Cross (View Most Recent)

A Great Place to Work!

Former Employee - Insurance Customer Service Representative for State of Alaska Account in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Helpful supervisors, great benefits (a wide range of options to choose from for medical/dental/vision insurance), great company morale, lots of freebies. They have an awesome lunch area with all types of food serviced by Sodexho.

Cons

I don't have anything really bad to say about them. Sometimes the call center could get hectic, but that is normal. I would work their again in a heartbeat if they were hiring!

My advice to management at Premera Blue Cross is to keep up the good work! Continue to treat each employee as an important member of the team and this company will go even farther than it already has!

My career is stagnant

Current Employee - Claims Associate IV in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Claims Associate IV in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Flexible hours, asking for time off is not a struggle, telecommuting, no micro managing, easy and fast commute, ability to listen to music as you work

Cons

Good luck advancing at a normal rate if you're not related to someone in upper management. Sure, there are great opportunities throughout the company, but doesn't mean you actually have a good chance of getting them.

Reward your employee with something more than jamba juice. Recognize people who actually do good work consistently without having to kiss everyone's behind/be related to someone in a higher position. I'm tired of hearing what a great job we do and getting terrible raises. Then to hear the CEO made $$$$$$$$ in bonuses while we all get 2% raises for our outstanding work is bull.

There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross