There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Contractor  in  Mountlake Terrace, WA
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Contractor in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Good food and prices offered in building 4 cafeteria.

Cons

Cut out middle management, look at the processes in place. You want to save paper, but you aren't utilizing the phone to get answers. Just sending out letters that document you made contact with the insurance applicants. It's wasting time, to people who clearly need coverage sooner not later. You have contractors telling other contractors what there job and duties are. This is causing errors and mistakes and mismanagement of the contractors to not perform as well as they could be - if they were managed by Premera permanent employees. It is not a fair situation. If I had known I never would have taken the position. It ended abruptly with a lack of consideration from middle management not even
having the decency to explain why. It left me cold. I can only wonder the impact of how the customers who look for getting health insurance here feel. There is a disconnect here from management, Premera employees and the contractors brought in. This could be more successful, but it fails because you don't counsel the temps as to what is being done incorrectly. You just remove them and don't tell them why.

If a worker is not counseled to correct what is not satisfactory, it is not a very kind situation. I felt the contractors who had been there longer were running the show. And middle management wasn't seeing behind the scenes as how the work flow was being directed. There were times it didn't make sense what we were being asked to do. And it may have been misconstrued. Advice to management is stop sending all those letters and make some phone calls to get documentation sooner to approve and process applications from the public. Have a group phone line for people to call to know the status of their applications, as well as email. There is a bottle neck there and it doesn't have to be that way.
Lastly, talk to people and let them know they are about to lose their job and why. I ended up feeling used and discarded after I got a phone call that this had been my last day. Your company should be handling this with more class. And not a "let the screen door slam on your way out". I worked hard to accomplish my work and never got any thanks or recognition for it. Even if I was the worst worker, I don't think you should treat people that way. I guess I know better now. But people at the top at Premera, take a closer look at how the middle managers are performing their jobs. It leaves a bad taste.

144 Other Employee Reviews for Premera Blue Cross (View Most Recent)

Push the Button

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Leaves time for family life
    Wages plus bonus make it hard to leave.
    It's located north of Seattle. Reasonably easy to escape the concrete Jungle

Cons

Leadership isn't looking for employee contribution. Managers have their pets who have been there a long time and been following bad practice since they started. Thus, the rest of the employees are beaten down left to push the button. Many of the employees that have been doing the job are even hired internal are not qualified to do what they do. Their idea is as long as everyone is following the process then everything is happy, happy. They scoff at industry practice.
    Push the button with a smile.

Most of the incompetence starts at the time. If you want to change something you have to be willing to implement the change yourself.

Something for Nothing

Former Employee - Membership Analyst  in  Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Membership Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

My co-workers and team members were fantastic. There was fairly good training as well. Ability to have Health, Life, D&D insurance fully paid for were good as well.

Cons

The company is very political. Teams within the same department were unwilling to help each other out and supporting departments also were unwilling to go the extra mile if there was a need. Long standing employees (20 plus) were fired without explanation - The company would simply take there stuff away in the middle of the night and pretend like they didn't exist.

Treat your employees better - support healthier lifestyles, don't be so draconian as well. I only saw Mr. Barlow on video and heard him in voicemails in my tenure. I felt like I was living in the book 1984.

There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross

Worked for Premera Blue Cross? Contribute to the Community!