Premera Blue Cross

www.premera.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross

The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Contractor in Mountlake Terrace, WA
Former Employee - Administrative Assistant Contractor in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Good food and prices offered in building 4 cafeteria.

Cons

Cut out middle management, look at the processes in place. You want to save paper, but you aren't utilizing the phone to get answers. Just sending out letters that document you made contact with the insurance applicants. It's wasting time, to people who clearly need coverage sooner not later. You have contractors telling other contractors what there job and duties are. This is causing errors and mistakes and mismanagement of the contractors to not perform as well as they could be - if they were managed by Premera permanent employees. It is not a fair situation. If I had known I never would have taken the position. It ended abruptly with a lack of consideration from middle management not even
having the decency to explain why. It left me cold. I can only wonder the impact of how the customers who look for getting health insurance here feel. There is a disconnect here from management, Premera employees and the contractors brought in. This could be more successful, but it fails because you don't counsel the temps as to what is being done incorrectly. You just remove them and don't tell them why.

If a worker is not counseled to correct what is not satisfactory, it is not a very kind situation. I felt the contractors who had been there longer were running the show. And middle management wasn't seeing behind the scenes as how the work flow was being directed. There were times it didn't make sense what we were being asked to do. And it may have been misconstrued. Advice to management is stop sending all those letters and make some phone calls to get documentation sooner to approve and process applications from the public. Have a group phone line for people to call to know the status of their applications, as well as email. There is a bottle neck there and it doesn't have to be that way.
Lastly, talk to people and let them know they are about to lose their job and why. I ended up feeling used and discarded after I got a phone call that this had been my last day. Your company should be handling this with more class. And not a "let the screen door slam on your way out". I worked hard to accomplish my work and never got any thanks or recognition for it. Even if I was the worst worker, I don't think you should treat people that way. I guess I know better now. But people at the top at Premera, take a closer look at how the middle managers are performing their jobs. It leaves a bad taste.

160 Other Employee Reviews for Premera Blue Cross (View Most Recent)

Something for Nothing

Former Employee - Membership Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Former Employee - Membership Analyst in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I worked at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

My co-workers and team members were fantastic. There was fairly good training as well. Ability to have Health, Life, D&D insurance fully paid for were good as well.

Cons

The company is very political. Teams within the same department were unwilling to help each other out and supporting departments also were unwilling to go the extra mile if there was a need. Long standing employees (20 plus) were fired without explanation - The company would simply take there stuff away in the middle of the night and pretend like they didn't exist.

Treat your employees better - support healthier lifestyles, don't be so draconian as well. I only saw Mr. Barlow on video and heard him in voicemails in my tenure. I felt like I was living in the book 1984.

Thought it would better as a not for profit company

Current Employee - Sit In A Cube in Mountlake Terrace, WA
    Current Employee - Sit In A Cube in Mountlake Terrace, WA

I have been working at Premera Blue Cross

Pros

Nice people on the whole
    Health care benefits are decent
    Relaxed work pace (sometimes too much so)
    Very few people work crazy hours
    Decent balance of work and personal life but many IT salaried staff expected to support apps 24/7
    Job security compared to many other places
    Good geographical location if you don't want to be in the City (reverse commute)

Cons

Very little upward movement of talent so if you want to move up you may be forced to move on
    People stay too long making it hard for new ideas to penetrate the old guard
    IT is a troubled group, a number very questionable things going on there
    Limited investment in training, partly due to being over staffed (too many people doing too little)
    The "who you know network" is alive and well here
    The ratio of "doers" to "watchers" is all wrong
    Way too many meetings, party because there are too many "watchers" and they can't function without them
    Limited parking
    Anti-telecommuting policy in many departments despite lack of parking
    In general the feeling of this place reflects the fact that too many of the managers have been here since they started their careers and have never made any effort to stay current with is happening in the world outside of Premera

Flush some people out and let some new ideas in
    Someone needs to take a hard look at IT - how can so many people get so little done
    PTO policy is weak, combining it with sick time brings too many sick people into the office
    Ask yourselves hard, honest questions every time you loose good employees

There are newer employer reviews for Premera Blue Cross